Options

Hello from Victoria, BC

benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
My husband, myself and our pug, Cara, are looking forward to camping this season in our 2014 "Matilda"T@B, Q Maxx model with a front window! She is orange and silver and will be towed by a, new to us, 2003 Toyota 4Runner named "Emily" Carr. (after a local historical artist of the same name).

It all started with a car accident in August 2013 that totalled my Honda Civic. Trying to be positive and find the "opportunity" in the disaster led us to discussions about what would we like to do with the small settlement?

At first we searched for a VW camper van - a throwback to our 70s experience. But because we are NOT mechanically inclined we were advised against the used VW…..We were delighted to find the T@B option; perfect size and, hopefully, well designed and reliable!!! We agonized over the right tow vehicle but found "Emily" Carr right in our backyard of Victoria!

So, we are in that awkward stage as RV newbies but are thrilled to have found a new adventure camping in the 'hobbitist' of trailers, T@B, Matilda….and happy to find this Forum as support!

Happy trails everyone!

Chris
Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2014
    Congratulations Chris and welcome to the forum! We have all been in your shoes as we all started out as newbies. Until you take your first trip, get the feel for your new rig and back it in and out of a campsite you'll soon find out just how much fun it is and that everything was worth the effort.

We are all here to help out and appreciate the concern about the tow vehicle as it is important to have the right vehicle that can handle the load and is rated to tow the trailer. That is critical and an important piece of the equation. Keep us posted on how things go and share some photos when you get out on your first adventure.

And how fortunate are you to be living up in such a beautiful part of the planet!

Enjoy that new trailer!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I had the same thought Mike .... Chris could probably find some spectacular camping spots right close to home .... what a beautiful area. Sorry to hear about your poor little Civic Chris ... hope you weren't hurt in the altercation ! And like MIke said, we were all newbies at some point but half the fun is learning a new skill set. We took our first trip in our new 2013 T@B in September last year and have already logged over 7,000 miles on it. Our plans for this year will probably add another 10,000 miles as we head out from Georgia to the Pacific Northwest and then to the Western Rally @ Ponderosa State Park in Idaho. You're not too far from there, hint, hint :D
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hello to "Matilda" + family in Victoria, BC!!! The Western Rally will be held August 3 - 6 (Sunday through Wednesday) at Ponderosa State Park near McCall, Idaho. We are camping in the Peninsula Loop. Here's a thread from a previous discussion on the Western Rally. Tom Kuhar, a Forum member, is organizing it. It is a beautiful area with canoeing and kayaking, hiking, and biking in the immediate vicinity.

Hope you can make it!!!

http://littleguy.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2000/for-those-going-to-the-western-rally/p1 :D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Hello to Matilda T@B. Hope you have some great adventures. This forum is a great place to be as you get acquainted with MatildaT@B.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    Hello T@B friends,

Thanks for all your well wishes! Will check out the Idaho gathering - pick Matilda up this weekend!!!!!
  • Options
    Hello fellow Tabbers,

I need to update my profile as we didn't get Matilda as the RV dealer made a big mistake . However, they made it right and we now are proud owners of a Yellow and White 2015 Maxx Q model Tab named "Sally Dandelion Lemondrop" aka Sally D.

We are reserved for the Idaho Western rally and look forward to meeting you all in August !!

Chris and Phil
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Sweet! Congratulations.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2014
    Congrats! Have any pictures? With such colorful names, I feel like I need to see Sally D. And Emily Carr!
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Amie_MAmie_M Member Posts: 2
    Hello, Benderenns!

We, too, live in Victoria, BC, and will be picking up our new T@B clamshell on the weekend!  Can hardly wait!  We'll have to share info and adventures, since we're so close to each other!

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe and 2014 T@B CS (wetbath)
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Welcome Chris and Phil!!!!  I have a yellow and silver 2014 T@B S M@xx named ClemenT@B.  Glad to hear you finally got a T@B despite the snafu.  I will also be at the Western Rally and I look forward to meeting you guys!!  Canadians are fun people . . . when I was in Sayulita, Mexico in January, there were MANY Canadians there vacationing also.  What a group of party-goers they were! 

Happy Travels. 

:D
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Here is a picture of our "maiden" voyage to Hornby Island for 3 days of dry docking. The electric brakes were NOT working properly (an installation error at the RV dealer that got addressed on the way home - ahemmmm) but barring that, a wonderful experieince [-O<

We are at site 37 on the Blackberry Loop at the Ponderosa campground….

• Options
    Question for those of you who use a rug outside of your T@bs:

(Ok, two):

1. Does it take jp mud/moisture

2. Where are you storing it when packing up?
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    That "rug" is made of woven plastic and helps to keep the dirt, leaves and twigs to a minimum ….
    It rolls up after a quick shake and we haul it in the tow vehicle. Very light weight…haven't been in rain with it yet.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I always take a couple of XXXL Ziplock storage bags, just in case the rugs get wet. If the bags aren't long enough, I just put a bag on from each end of the rugs and the bags overlap in the middle.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    As for the rug, and if I can't drape it over a picnic table to get dry before time to pack up, I put it in a lawn and leaf trash bag until I can get it home and dry it out there.  I have two rugs, one 9 x 12 and the other is 8 x 10.  I seem to like the 8 x 10 best mostly because I like the color and design best.  Be sure if you get order one over the internet that you get the woven plastic kind.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    I like the idea of cutting down on detritus tracked I to thebT@b, but it's one more thing to pack... so many decisions! I prolly will get one, especially for long weeks with semi permanent setups, like is coming up in June. Thanks for the tips, all!
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    I like the C gear mat. From REI. Allows dirt, grit, sand to sift thru mesh. They fold up in a very concise way. Mine came with a tote bag for storage. I use 2. 6x6, 6x8. Quick dry.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer