Cassette Toilet in a T@B S

I am interested in a T@B S, but I don't really like the idea of having a black water tank for the toilet. I like the idea of the keeping the shower with the gray water tank and then putting a cassete toilet--the Thetford Porta Potti--in the shower when needed.  

1. Does anyone know if Little Guy would make that sort of customization.
  2. Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks,
marc

Comments

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2017
    I dont know the answer to your question but I wonder what the problem is? We have a 2014 S and have had no problems with any of the tanks.We did combine the outside dumps in to one outlet, the 2 outlet setup was a pain. 
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 159
    I generally wildcat camp, so there isn't a dump station. With a cassette toilet you can empty into a toilet at home or pit  toilet that are more readily available in national forests. 
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Nothing prevents you from simply discharging the black tank into a bucket, then pouring the contents down your bathroom toilet. Home Depot has a low sided blue bucket that fits under the drains on the Outback. Those little toilet pods eliminate any odor.  Much easier than screwing around with that flex hose (which you then need to rinse out).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    You could probably get one made like that. From reading on the forum, a lot of people are getting custom stuff done. Just takes longer.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Had a FS Ranger in NM tell me that it's actually illegal (fineable) to dump a portapotty in a vault toilet.
    edited March 2017
    PXLated said:
    Had a FS Ranger in NM tell me that it's actually illegal (fineable) to dump a portapotty in a vault toilet.
    I've heard that. I'm not quite sure why, but it is something to be educated about. Worst case, bring it home. It takes a while for two people to fill one of those things. 

I am am kind of wondering to myself if they are more concerned with a larger rv or camper discharging  a large tank into the pit toilet, filling the pit toilet too fast. 

OutbackAZ said:
    Nothing prevents you from simply discharging the black tank into a bucket, then pouring the contents down your bathroom toilet. Home Depot has a low sided blue bucket that fits under the drains on the Outback. Those little toilet pods eliminate any odor.  Much easier than screwing around with that flex hose (which you then need to rinse out).
    The grimy hose is one of the things I don't want to deal with. Are you saying that you can discharge it into a bucket without making a mess on the T@B? That would be easier than monkeying with hoses. 
    Didn't appear to have anything to do with big RVs, she was talking about portapotties in popup campers. Might be that the chemicals used in a portapotty conflict with what's in a vault toilet or especially the type that are composting.
    I find using a bucket at home much easier than the hose at a dump site. There is no mess. Simply open the black valve first - slowly - and shut it before the bucket fills (it has never filled from a weekend with one person). Dump it in the toilet. Go back and open the grey valve. Dump it in the toilet. Rinse out the bucket.
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    The grimy hose is one of the things I don't want to deal with. Are you saying that you can discharge it into a bucket without making a mess on the T@B? That would be easier than monkeying with hoses. 

I find the hose to be less icky than dumping a bucket.  Once you drain the gray water it's pretty clean.  I can just see too much going wrong carrying a bucket of that into my bathroom. :o
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Agreed with being careful with the trip to the bathroom.  Best to delay any adult beverage until this procedure is completed. But that hose with all those ridges? Do you really think you completely rinsed out all those nooks and crannies with a spray from a hose at a dump site? 
    edited March 2017
    Dumping is so easy - I was amazed. Can't imagine using a bucket - sorry Frank.
    As far as those ridges - the outside ones never come in contact with bad liquid and when I'm at a relaxed dumpsite I fill the hose with a bleach/water mix and let it sit for a bit. Bet my hose is cleaner than your bucket :-)
    PXL - you're a full timer without a traditional home! A "relaxed" dump site? The outside ridges don't come in contact with bad water? All I'm saying is that my system works for me. 
    I was more trying to reassure others that dumping isn't that hard or dirty - I knew I wouldn't change a method that works for you. I haven't got you into cooking either :-)
    A relaxed dumpsite is one where there isn't anyone else there - you can take however long you want.
    Outside ridges / bad water - By bad water I'm referring to the black tank - So nope.
    I agree using the hose at a dump site is not difficult at all. But the Wildcat Camp guy was thinking of a cassette toilet mod that would cost a bundle. Using the toilet method might be a cost effective alternative. BTW, why are they called "cassette" toilets? When I think of cassettes, it relates to Barry White or Tower of Power.
    Ya, more than likely costly - pretty much have to re-engineer the whole space and undercarriage.
    When I hear "cassette toilet", I think of the ones that are masserators and you pull the waste tank out the side and go empty it. That module is called a cassette. Looked into them years ago. Don't know if Thetford still makes them or not.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I accepted that I would have to dump the contents of my black tank when I decided I wanted the convenience of an indoor toilet. It's a lot less messy (if you use the proper treatment) than changing a 3 year old's diaper!

I have used a 5 gallon bucket with a lid to dump at home when I forgot to stop at a dump station. I pour it into the toilet in the house.

Dumping your tanks is only as hard as you make it. If I wear my blue medium weight nitrile gloves, everything will be fine. 

And, yes, an occasional rinsing of your hoses with a mild bleach solution will help if there is a lingering odor in the hoses. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    edited March 2017
    The potty plumbing question is very personal, and each person should decide for themselves what is right. I have personally always enjoyed buildings without potty plumbing. Before I got my T@B (which has no bathroom), I stayed in one-room KOA cabins when I traveled. To me, the idea that the cabins had no bathroom was not a drawback but a bonus. I used a Thetford porta potty or plastic coffee can as a chamber pot to avoid going outside in the middle of the night. I once lived in the mountains above Santa Barbara in a cluster of small buildings. The bedroom building had windows on all four sides, and no plumbing. To me, that was heaven. One of the reasons I don't like hotels is because of all the plumbing running throughout the building. I'm grateful I don't need to explain or defend my preferences. They are what they are. Life is short. And if one is lucky enough to know their preferences — no potty, little potty, big potty, blue potty, red potty — more power to them in getting their needs met.
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My grandma told me that when houses were being built with indoor plumbing and others were adding them, many were appalled (outhouse days)!! She said it just wasn't "right" and dirty (thinking at the time). RIP Grandma! I loved your stories!! :heart:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    If you are getting a new T@B, you might want to just ask to have the toilet not installed, and the black tank capped off.  That way, if you decide to sell it after a few years your resale value shouldn't be impacted by not having a black tank.  New owners could easily re-install a toilet, if they wanted.

Since there would be no real modification (since it would be just not putting the toilet hardware in and a cap for the black tank pipe) I can't see there would be any (or at least not much) of an extra charge for modification.  Sadly you probably wouldn't get a savings for whatever the toilet costs, though! hahaha :)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I have had small boats with porta toilets that we would take out and dump in the bathroom.  I found that process much dirtier then hooking up the hose at a dump station. The process is also easier for me because I have a Cabelas near my home and If I am returning home with full tanks it is easy to swing in and dump them.  This is even better since the card reader at the dump station is broken so they just leave the pump station available for free for everyone.  Yes to each his own but having used both methods I prefer the holding tank and hose.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @HR_Taly, that's a good idea! The only caveat is that these are purchased from the manufacturer as complete units. The unit might need to be installed as intended (for warranty) and Trailpixie might have to do the mod. My take would be to just unbolt the potty part, cap where the connection to the black tank (making sure the black tank is either removed or capped itself. Don't forget to modify the water line to the flush mechanism. I think if done properly, all parts can be reinstalled for re-sale (if ever done). 

The other idea is just asking nuCamp if the manufacturer makes a shower only enclosure - then no possible leaks and water line mods or black tank involved - plus you have a warranty for not doing any mods.

I'm curious what you find out! The folks at nuCamp are so accommodating. I wish you the best!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I find I need the toilet in the shower to sit on while showering, although my sub 5ft. wife can stand up.  :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

edited March 2017
    For me, the most important caveat to this discussion is that there aren't any dump stations in the national forests or BLM areas.
    When they are available I use pit toilets, but nature calls at midnight too.
    Many/most T@B owners seem to frequent developed campsites and this changes the calculus on these basic decisions.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 908
    Virtually all the DM T@Bs were designed with a convenient cabinet for a small porta-potty.  In the CS you could just flip up a cabinet top of the front bench and there it sat, ready to use.  I would think the PV factory could do something similar to what was done in the early models.

IMO, much of the attraction of the T@B was the elegant simplicity of every feature.  Many aspects of the LG T@Bs have become much more complex.

rfuss928 said:
    Virtually all the DM T@Bs were designed with a convenient cabinet for a small porta-potty.  In the CS you could just flip up a cabinet top of the front bench and there it sat, ready to use.  I would think the PV factory could do something similar to what was done in the early models.

IMO, much of the attraction of the T@B was the elegant simplicity of every feature.  Many aspects of the LG T@Bs have become much more complex.
    I haven't bought yet. The added T@B complexity is what keeps me thinking about a T@G or even an LG Rough Rider 6-wide.
    For me it only sounded (seemed) complicated until I actually played with things. Pretty simple actually.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    For me, the most important caveat to this discussion is that there aren't any dump stations in the national forests or BLM areas.
    When they are available I use pit toilets, but nature calls at midnight too.
    Many/most T@B owners seem to frequent developed campsites and this changes the calculus on these basic decisions.
    Sorry, but I tend to use dry campsites/dispersed camping/boondocking 2/3 of the time. Yes, I have had to pay a couple of times this winter to use an RV dump at a developed Campground or a truck stop.  My preference is not to have other campers within a few hundred feet of me. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    There are "some" dump sites in NFS & BLM "campgrounds" - None out boondocking though. Have only struggled to find one halfway close or enroute a couple times. The Allstays app helps find them.
    Thanks for all the help.  I think the solution is to use pump stations when available and a bucket (lawfully)  poured into a pit toilet when a pump station is unavailable. Now I will need to figure out how to store both a bucket cost AND the hose.