Options

Battery problems

Battery burned out on our 2014 T@B.
Smoking, fumes, noxious odor.
Dangerous. A A A took battery away.
We are concerned we have a defective converter. Trying to get n touch with authorized Little Guy dealer for repair and replace. What a mess.
T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I'm glad AAA finally got there, Belva, and glad that you guys weren't harmed. Do you need help finding a T@B dealer in TX?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Went to LG Web site under dealers and found one close to Austin. But closed today. Also talked to "Spinnincin" , Cindy about her dealer. Verna, thanks for your advice last night. Waiting game for now.
  • Options

Neil, it happened over the course of a couple of days, but Belva and Richard were unaware what was causing the sulpher smell.  She does have the $200+ surge suppressor.  Luckily they have AAA + RV and AAA did come to the campground to assist them.

When Belva called me last night, I had them remove the 12V fuses to try to save the converter.  Richard didn't want to remove the wiring from the battery, so the fuses were the next best action.  They had already unplugged from shore power by the time Belva called me.

Thanks, Mike for your assistance for Belva and Richard.  They just picked up their T@B last August, and this is the longest trip they have taken.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I've been thinking about adding RV to my AAA.  Not so much for T@b, but my jeep is 10 yrs old and what if it broke down while towing T@b, I'd need a tow for T@b too.  Sounds like it came in handy for Belva.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options

June, I added the RV coverage to my AAA because they will send two tow trucks, if needed. 

In Belva's case, this was a rather hazardous situation with the battery acid.  I'm so glad AAA took the battery with them so Belva and Richard didn't have to deal with it.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    Belva, can you give us an update on your battery issue and what may have caused it?
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Not sure, yet. We used shore power on our way back from Austin with no  problems. 
    We think it is the converter. Talked with Ed K. LG is sending replacement battery and converter to our local LG dealer. 
    I'll let you guys know what the problem is as we get into the replacements. 

• Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Question! What could be draining my battery? Charged on a Saturday, sat in driveway for the week and almost drained by next Saturday. Is there some switch or something that I haven't turned off?
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Do you have the stereo system? I think the clock stays on. I don't know for sure, but I saw that the clock on the Jensen unit seemed to stay aglow. Now, is that enough draw to kill your battery? Hmmm... ...also, how are the connections to the battery terminals... ...are they tight?
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    Yes, the Jensen is aglow. Can't imagine it would drain that much.
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Do you have a fridge? Is it set to 12v, and possibly running? From what I read on multiple forums, it might be wise to invest in a battery cut off switch, just to know the battery is truly disconnected.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful.