Camco Aero-Flo RV Vent

I really want to get and install the Camco Aero-Flo RV vent but after watching the installation video on etrailer and looking at the exploded view diagram in the Fantastic Fan booklet, I'm a little afraid of drilling into the flange on the fan for fear of drilling into the components.  Also of voiding the fan's two year warranty.  Can I unscrew the visible screws from below and lower the guts of the fan during installation so I can see where I'm drilling?  Any advise would be appreciated.  We have a 2017 320S if that makes any difference.  Maybe older models had different fans?

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @newell, the flange is above the components because it’s purpose is to keep out water, and those 4 screw holes sure won’t mess that up. If I can do it, you can. Measure 3 or 4 times to get the cover on straight front to back and side to side, mark the holes, drill the 4 holes and then follow the assembly instructions. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    Thanks Verna,  I'm go'in for it.  If you see me coming up your street, you'll know it didn't go well.  :)

• erobertseroberts Member Posts: 4
    Would someone post a picture of the completed installation?
    @eroberts it’s the white vent cover on top, the taller of the two. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • erobertseroberts Member Posts: 4
    So it looks like you're getting ready to install it on that new 400.

Not me, @newell. I cheated and had nüCamp do it for me!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Okay Verna,  what happened to "if I can do it, you can do it" ?  ;)

@newell, I installed one on my Silver Shadow Teardrop, and 3 years ago on my T@B S Max. If I can do it, you can do it ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    We have the dark one, and while some Amazon reviewers say it gets brittle quickly, the pliability and thickness of the unit looks top notch.  Have tested with vent open in strong thunderstorms; not a drop inside.  We had to use the low TPI screws into the existing flange, not the machine bolts / nuts... so there was a moment of hesitancy screwing the brackets into the flange.  But so far no shorts, so I guess no wires in that area.  With the more aerodynamic shape to the vent and lower Cd, gas mileage towing rose from 30 up to 71mpg.  ;)
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

DougH, Do you think there would be any advantage to drilling and tapping the flange so you could use a threaded machine screw instead of the TPI screws or am I over thinking this thing? 

@newell : I was hesitant to put my body weight on the roof, so I was looking at the flange from the side and above while standing on a ladder.  From that perspective, the plastic curved shroud was a lot longer than the machine screws they provided (on a 2016 T@B).  So in my case, drilling a hole for a machine screw didn't seem possible unless also working from the underside or pissibly getting to close to the fan blades with much longer machine screws.  If concerned about the wood/plastic screw backing itself out, you can always put a dab of something on the threads or screw head.  I didn't take any pictures, since it felt like 150F up there at the time.

DougH, I wasn't thinking about using the long ones that they provided.  I was thinking more like a 1/4/20 or smaller machine screw the same length as the screws that they provide only drilling and tapping the flange would provide similar security as would a nut and machine screw if that were possible.  You're right though, a little dab of thread locker would be a good alternative. I just want that 71 mpg.  Thanks

• elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    I followed the directions exactly, using the self-tapping screws, and it works great.  I'm not tall - 5'7" - and was able to do it myself, with a ladder, in about 20 minutes in the driveway.  @newell, as long as you center the frame on the Fantastic Fan, the self-tapping screws seem to not mess anything up.  Go for it! :)
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota

Here it is, all installed.  I'm pretty happy with it although I think I'll move it aft a little bit.  After attaching the dome, I found that my fan vent might open a bit farther if the unit was moved back another inch.  No problem since they give you the slotted holes for adjustment.  

When you slip the frame over the fan unit and try to mark the hole for the screws, it helps a lot to add a small piece of adhesive tape to the flange so you can see your marks. 

Just as a precaution add a little of that adhesive tape to your drill bit marking the length of the screw.  If you didn't hit any wires drilling up to this point, your screws won't do any damage either.  

Reminds me of the old film "Demolition Man" where after the restaurant wars, only Taco Bell was left, so all restaurants regardless of type were called that.  Nice installation suggestions, even if you did go for the higher drag coefficient white colored one.  ;)

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

If anyone has considered this mod and been putting it off my advice is DO IT NOW.
    Beside the benefit of leaving the vent open, even in pouring rain, it's also preventive in nature -- for nature. 
    We run the fan in exhaust mode during a wet bath then reverse it afterwards to help dry things out with shower door propped open. When you run the fan in intake mode you've probably noticed insects collect on the screen. Some stuck alive below the blades with dead ones fluttering on the screen from the breeze. This creates a death trap for bird species that flit about eaves and nooks looking for insects. The whirring blades are invisible.
    Before we installed our vent cover a Carolina Wren had the unfortunate experience of death by Fantastic Fan. Nuff said.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • RogerLRogerL Member Posts: 24
    For non-Boondock owners: with the Aero-Flo vent cover installed, will the trailer still fit through an 8' garage door?
    2018 T@B 320CS-S, 2018 GMC Canyon SLT
    Urbana, MD
  • JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    The vent cover adds 8 inches to my trailer height. The vent cover is installed at the highest point of the trailer, so not much can be done to mask the extra height. I hope that information helps your calculations.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    RogerL said:
    For non-Boondock owners: with the Aero-Flo vent cover installed, will the trailer still fit through an 8' garage door?
    Yes, it still fits. We have about 2 inches to spare. Just make sure the door opens past the frame. 
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az