Options

good tools for Alde maintenance

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
Our Alde has been in service for a couple of years now, so I checked the fluid to see how it's holding up.

I found two handy & inexpensive devices on Amazon that worked pretty well:
Etekcity PH tester and the Grand Index coolant refractometer

Coolant will get more acidic over time, so it's a good idea to keep an eye on it, and the glycol loses it's effectiveness over time.

The PH level of the coolant can be checked with a digital PH tester or PH test strips. PH should measure between 9.5 & 10.5. If it's too acidic (below 9.5) it can corrode the metal parts in the Alde.

The glycol concentration level (percent alcohol in the fluid) is best checked with a refractometer (a hydrometer doesn't work correctly with propylene-glycol). The glycol freeze temperature should be kept appropriate for the temps that your Tab expects to find itself in.

Just FYI, after 2.5 years, my Alde fluid PH is 10, and the glycol has a -8F freeze point. I'm going to see about boosting that glycol a bit.
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Meanwhile, imam still looking for a local source for the glycol. That might be my weekend challenge.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    It seems that this would work,  It has Propylene Glycol. http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?prodID=10591#.Vj1pJ4-cHic

I am not having any luck locally finding the Sierra brand.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Peak I believe bought Sierra. Check peaks website. I got mine at O'Reilly auto parts. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    normfun said:
    Peak I believe bought Sierra. Check peaks website. I got mine at O'Reilly auto parts. 
    The dealers they say that carry it don't, in my area.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jkjenn said:
    normfun said:
    Are they able to order it, Jenn?  The Sierra Peak their website refers to is the pink antifreeze for our water pipes. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    jkjenn said:
    normfun said:
    Are they able to order it, Jenn?  The Sierra Peak their website refers to is the pink antifreeze for our water pipes. 
    I will check. The only 2 dealers are Dollar General (doubt they would order it) and Advanced Auto.

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Prestone Low Tox is another you could use. $26 on Amazon. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I found Prestone Low Tox at O'Reilly's in Indianapolis.

Dollar General and Advanced Auto only had the Sierra Peak pink antifreeze for water lines.  I took a Photo of the Sierra Peak to O'Reilly's and they had never seen it. I did not check Camping World....and I just searched them and Camping World only carries the pink water line antifreeze. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I think one of the most important specs with the 'Coolant' type of Propylene Glycol is that it have "corrosion inhibitors", ie: esp. for aluminum engines, is what I've read.

I made the mistake of trusting the salesman at West Marine (he was in a hurry to close for the day, so I didn't take the time to read the bottle), and I found I'd purchased the plumbing antifreeze glycol that they carried.

I've now bought a jug of Prestone Low Tox, and am waiting for a response from them re: how well it will mix with the Sierra that is supposedly in mine. I'm also waiting for a response from Ed Kauffman about how much the system holds, ie: for draining and replacing it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yes boo, that's my thinking on it.

The manufacturer of the Alde has a recommended change time on the coolant, but I'd wondered how long it would actually last. These give a little more information to go by.

The one bit of info I didn't get was what the percentage/freeze-protection was that LG initially installed when they put in the Alde. ie: if the freeze-protection is only -8F now, what was it when they installed it? I'd think in western NY state, and many other northern states, that -20F would be more appropriate.

A little more info....
    "Freeze temperature" is different from "burst temperature" when talking about antifreeze.
    From what I've read, "freeze temperature" is when the fluid begins to crystallize into a slush, and "burst temperature", or frozen solid, is usually 30 degrees F colder (or more). I'm pretty sure though, that you wouldn't want to turn on your Alde even if the fluid was only a slush. It might be a bit hard on the Alde's circulating pump!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    And -50F protection might be smart in many places, with that global warming 'more intense winters' thing and all...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Here's the scoop

Ed Kauffman sez the Alde system holds 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of coolant.

Prestone sez that their "Low Tox" antifreeze should mix ok with Peak Sierra's propylene glycol antifreeze. Quote: "
    We haven't tested those two products for compatibility, however they are extremely similar and we would be very susrprised if there was any problem whatsoever with mixing the two of them together."  

Now I just have to do the math to figure how much to drain, in order to add the new Prestone, to get -50F protection...

I'm sure I can remember my algebra... I think I can... I think I can...

On another note, I read in my new Subaru's manual today, that they see no need to change the coolant before 11 years!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    jkjenn said:
    Meanwhile, imam still looking for a local source for the glycol. That might be my weekend challenge.
    I bought mine on Amazon, I think it was $14.00 for a gallon if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Found mine as I was passing thru Sioux Falls - Only store that had it was one of the O'Reilly stores and they only had two jugs.
  • Options
    Sgtjohn said:
    jkjenn said:
    I bought mine on Amazon, I think it was $14.00 for a gallon if I'm not mistaken.
    Do you have a link? I couldn't find any that cheap.

• Options
    $99.98 for 6 one gallon jugs on Amazon of Sierra Peak Glycol is all I could find on Amazon. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna said:
    $99.98 for 6 one gallon jugs on Amazon of Sierra Peak Glycol is all I could find on Amazon. 
    Ditto.

• Options
    Six of us should go in together and buy the 6-pack. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    and then meet in Kansas to split it up!?!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    and then meet in Kansas to split it up!?!
    Well, who is going to be in AZ this winter who needs it?  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    You'd need antifreeze in Arizona? :o
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Cheaper at O'Reilly's. $18.18 including tax
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

ChanW said:
    You'd need antifreeze in Arizona? :o
    I hate snow--I winter in AZ. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    What's o'Reilly's?

The map of store locations looks like New York state has banished them.

Closest one to me is in PA.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    It's an auto parts store. The ones in Indianapolis don't carry the Sierra Peak Glycol-- you have to ask for the glycol, otherwise the search thinks you're asking for the Peak Sierra pink stuff for the plumbing ( and it's expensive!).

When I told O'Reilly's it was a glycol anti corrosive anti-freeze for my camper, they immediately went to a new box of Prestone Low Tox that wasn't even on display yet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN