Options

Customized Tongue-Mounted Aluminum Cargo Platform

georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
edited July 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades

I decided to add an aluminum cargo platform to the tongue of my 2019T@B 320 CS. Aluminum is less than half the weight of a steel alternative and therefore reduces the tongue weight impact. So I purchased a 5 foot wide (20 " deep) aluminum hitch-mounted carrier (rated for 400 lbs) and, ignoring all the hitch related parts, reinforced the carrier with 2" aluminum angle and attached the strengthened result upside down to the tongue frame, so as to have a flat surface rather than a shallow basket (see the pics). All the fasteners used were stainless steel bolts and SS locking nuts. Nylon washers were used wherever aluminum came in contact with steel so as to minimize any galvanic reaction. The stock platform wire mesh was covered with aluminum tread plate (matches the stone guard for a custom look) and attached it using aluminum rivets. A variety of stainless steel tie-downs were added so that I could secure a couple of large buckets (Rigid brand - from Home Depot) for camping gear. 

The 4 inch drain tube that is attached to the side of the trailer tongue frame carries four 5 foot adjustable poles for supporting a couple of shelters. I repurposed two garage tool hangers and secured the tube to them using large metal gear clamps. 

I also moved the spare tire from under the trailer to the tongue and attached it to the jockey wheel post using 2.25" muffler clamps. Nice and snug. 

Total cost for all as shown in the first pic, not including HD buckets, approx. $325 Cdn. As good as the 'boondock' solution, but at a huge savings. Feel free to let me know what you think about this modification.

F

Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 

Comments