Options

T@b 400 smell when using Alde/Norcold fridge on propane

ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
Last night we arrived at our campsite and turned on the Alde heat on propane mode.  We had the roof vent open about an inch and the side windows cracked.

When we came back inside the RV after being out by the fire there was a distinctive smell inside that smelled like something was burning.  It's hard to describe the exact smell but almost an oil, or a rubber.

We used the Alde on propane before and did not smell this smell. The smell persisted through the night but seemed to be gone this morning for the most part, when the Alde turned off.  I can also smell it in the side compartment the Alde is located in.  Any ideas what this could be?  We did sanitize the fresh water lines and tank recently but don't think that would cause this...
2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
Chili, NY

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    If I recall, when you initially use the Alde, there may be a little burnt smell.  Try it again and see if it doesn’t go away.  Does yoyr water smell like bleach?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2019
    We were 'put off' for many months when our Tab was new, by the slight hot rubber smell from the Alde hoses. It could be thought of as a burning smell.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    ChanW said:
    We were 'put off' for many months when our Tab was new, by the slight hot rubber smell from the Alde hoses. It could be thought of as a burning smell.
    Did it go away?  We realized it seems to be coming from out overflow tank area, possibly from the vent pipe that comes out the top.
    Chili, NY
  • Options
    If I recall, when you initially use the Alde, there may be a little burnt smell.  Try it again and see if it doesn’t go away.  Does yoyr water smell like bleach?
    It smells like it is coming from the overflow tank.  I could see the glycol bubbling in there and condensation in the exaust tube that comes out of the top.  Could the Alde be hearing the glycol too much?
    Chili, NY
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Just to make sure - overflow tank = Alde glycol reservoir?  

Maybe check the glycol temperature.  Go into your display (with the Alde fully heated).  I think under the Service Menu you will find the temperature of the glycol.  

Also, have you checked the Alde pump to see how high it is set?  Not sure f it will account for the odor, but check it as often they can be set too high resulting in excess bubbling.  The 320s are set no higher than 2.  I think the 400s are set at 3, but don’t quote me.  Maybe a 400 owner will chime in.  

Also, check the Alde flow assembly and air bleeder valve.  If some glycol escapes those areas it can drop on hot pipes and may account for the odor.  Any residue anywhere?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio