Options

Converter Fan Noise

Just bought a 2004 t@b and I am now familiarizing myself with the systems. It has the American CS3000XL converter installed. When connected to shore power (AC) the cooling fan runs continually, when I disconnect the battery and still remain on AC the fan still will not shut off. Is this normal?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Normally, the fan will continue to run until the battery is charged.  How long did you leave it connected to shore power?  Sometimes it will take a while to charge the battery.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BeemerBeemer Member Posts: 3
    When I brought the trailer home the battery only read 3volts. I charged the battery for two days on a stand alone charger and it did come up to 12.5 volts. I am not yet convinced that the battery will hold a full charge, that's why I disconnected it from the converter and the fan remained running with no apparent load.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The battery is dead, and it may or may not be able to be revived. You could take it to a battery place for it to be evaluated, but.....  My original battery was 10.5 V when I got my Silver Shafow and it wouldn't hold a charge. As far as whether your converter is still good or not, I don't know. I know for sure the fan should not run constantly, after the battery is charged. I guess if it were me, I would invest in a new battery first and then see what the converter does with the new one.

Good luck  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I am not sure about older models, but with the newer models, the fan only runs when the system is under load, such as running all of the 12 volt devices and or heavy charging of the T@B battery. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk