Options

dogbone question?

boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
for electrical campground hook-up's, is it a good idea to have a 50 amp-30 amp dogbone along for the ride? seems you would have all the electrical bases covered if you did. happy thanksgiving. :) i see the pole breaker will not trip, and it's to much power going to camper. probably won't need one of these. 
2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have a 50 to 30 dogbone, 30 to 20 adapter, a 20 to 30 adapter and a pigtail to give two 30 amps from one 30 amp receptacle. 

You don’t have to pick up all of these right now, as I have only used the 50 to 30 once. The pigtail is nice to have at üCamp, but nüCamp does loan those out.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have used my 50 - 30 Amp dogbone on several occasions. Mostly state parks, where I've arrived on Friday evening, maintenance staff have gone home for the weekend, and the 30 Amp is in bad shape. The 50 Amp is far less used and doesn't have as many issues.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2019
    The 50A breaker doesn't provide 'too much power', 50A is how much is available, rather than how much goes into your Tab. Your tab doesn't need more than 30A, so it won't draw more than that. (The breakers inside the Tab will limit over-draw)
    It's like having a big bag of cookies vs a smaller one. You only eat as many as you need. If you need more cookies (ie a large RV needs 50A for their walk in cooler) they are there on the 50A outlet, but the 30A outlet in the pole will blue its breaker if you eat too many of the cookies....
    Get it? :s
    IOW, yes it's ok to plug into the big bag of cookies, if the small one is moldy.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya