Options

whats an acceptable tow vehicle?

13»

Comments

• Options
    rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    TABalong said:
    For anyone looking for a different TV, I'm very happy with my new Jeep Cherokee.    I've got the 3.2L version with 271hp and it pulls the T@B like a dream.   I have the factory installed tow package which is rated at 4500 pounds and comes with a class III hitch, 7 and 4 pin wiring harnesses, heavy duty engine cooler and full size spare.    On the highway I've been getting 29-31mpg and when pulling the T@B about 18mpg.   I'm a happy camper!
     We also have have a Jeep Cherokee as TABalong/Norm...ditto here, we love it!  Same  engine/tow package version and stats. We've been up and down the Big Horn mountains (10% grade) in Wyoming several times and it has handled it well.
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Is it the Jeep Grand Cherokee you have?  
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    No...ours is a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.  
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Mine is a 2015 Jeep Cherokee, Latitude.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2015
    To round out the jeeps - Mine's a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    We have a Jeep grand Cherokee.  Love it.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    I've been towing with a 2015 AWD Kia Sorento, V6. It has 290 hp, plenty of torque and pretty decent mileage.  At 55-65 mph highhway driving it gets about 30 mpg (above its EPA rating) without the T@B - better than both my 1999 and 2003 Foresters ever got. It gets about 16 with it.  In hilly terrain it gets 13-14. Tow capacity is 3,500#. 
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    I tow my T@B with a 2005 Jetta TDI wagon. If I try to maintain highway speeds (60-70mph), mileage goes from a "normal" 45-48mpg to around 18… but it will do it, going between 4th and 5th gear, turbo running all the time. The T@B is enough wider & taller than the Jetta that it's like pulling a parachute.

Found that if I kept speed below 55 or so, mileage was a very respectable 30+. Won't win any contests off the line, but that Jetta does just fine once up to speed; the T@B tracks exceptionally well, even over rough, heavily-crowned roads. Solution? Just stick to smaller roads!

Previous owner of our T@B went all the way from NH to AK and back, towing it with a Subaru Outback.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Looks like that TDI motor is only 100hp?!? 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    @irvingj -- I have a Class 1 hitch on the back of my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and put a bike carrier on it. I wouldn't think of trying to haul the T@b with that vehicle! I thought the max towing was something like 1000lbs. Is there some feature on your Jetta that I don't know about?
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    I installed a Hidden Hitch towing system myself, following the instructions; it requires one hole to be drilled through the spare tire well, but otherwise uses existing frame holes. I did, however, replace the bolts that came with the kit with stainless ones.

The rated capacity of the hitch is 2000 lbs, max tongue weight 200 lbs, and was made specifically for the A4 chassis. I haven't noticed any indication(s) of excess stress anywhere… but keep in mind mine is an A4 chassis, the last year they made them (2005), and may well be more capable of towing than current models.
  • Options
    And yes, it was rated at 100 HP, using the "PD" engine, a 1900cc "BEW" type. I believe the current version is designated "BRM," a high-pressure common rail injection system and 2000cc displacement, with a particulate filter and periodic burn-off of same.

Interestingly, even with the larger displacement, periodic fuel injection on the exhaust stroke to burn off accumulated carbon and more HP (110), the BRM gets about the same mileage as mine. (Sure wish I had that 6-speed, though!)

OTOH, my BEW's torque peak is at 1800 rpm, turbo kicks in around 2450. Not a bad engine, but a stop-gap until VW made one that was 50-state legal; mine wasn't legal for sale in CA or any other state that adopted their specs (including VT, MA, and ME in my area).

And seriously, it has no trouble at all maintaining speed while hauling the T@B. Even I was impressed; I really expected to have a "tail wagging the dog" situation, but that T@B tracks so well I never had a problem on secondary roads, some of which were very rough coming from New Brunswick across Maine & NH two years ago.  =)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As someone pointed out in a recent thread, check with your insurance company. If you're living on the edge, you may not be covered.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    It's the torque. 177 that kicks in at 1800 RPM . I'll admit, my 2004 TDI is the same engine as irvingj, but its been "chipped" to 140 HP and 240 torque, so the only issues I run into is overheat or excessive EGT if I climb a pass too quickly.

I also installed oversized 320mm (from the GTIs) front brakes so I have more fade resistance if needed. The T@b's electric brakes do so well though that it also does the braking for the car too if I turn it up too high. ;)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Cyclonic said:
    The eastern grades are much steeper, but do tend to be shorter.

The steepest grade on the interstate system is on I-24 westbound over Monteagle Mountain, TN. It's an 8% grade.

For my money, the worst I have had to drive on an interstate is the downgrade going eastbound on I-68 into Cumberland, MD.  Steep, twisting, and you drop into a narrow, sharp 40MPH curve when you get to the city.

My very first tow was over Monteagle bringing it home from the dealer!  Great learning experience :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL