Replacement Smoke Detector

T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
edited May 2015 in Trailer & Towing
Have you replaced your old/expired smoke detector and if so with which type? In continuing to explore ours I noticed our ceiling mounted smoke detector is from 07/15/05; it's nearing the 10yr expiration period.

Ideally I'd like to get a matching one so I can use the same mounting bracket... I've tried looking for an MTI SA-668 but all that I find is a MTI SA-775. The current SA-668 model is a little smoke detector compared to household ones; just under 4.25" in diameter. Is the SA-775 a newer version of the same one and would it use the same mount? What have you used?
2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design

Comments

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Camping World has one on sale right now for less than $10.00. It's 4.25" dia. and approved  for R.V. use. Item #17014.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    My Carbon Dioxide detector died, and I replaced it with a combo smoke/CO2 detector and simply just removed the smoke detector. I have a Dutchmen T@B with the carpet ceiling, so the holes just kind of disappeared in the ceiling.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    Which one did you get? Do CO detectors expire like smoke detectors? From what I've read it seems the recommendation for replacing CO are for "keeping up" with the latest tech which is a clever ploy to skirt that they may not expire but you should still replace them. I did find a replacement for our Smoke Detector but have noticed CO are far more expensive. At those prices I would consider getting a Nest combo and have the upside remote detection when on wifi. What's the real difference between an RV detector and a regular household detector? To me it doesn't seem like smoke is any different between a home fire and a fire anywhere else. 
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited June 2015
    I honestly don't remember which one I got. Picked it up at Home Depot. It was the night before a trip. I'm guessing $30 range....
    Don't know about expiration, this one just quit working.....
    Doing my prehitch up testing, I hit the test button on the CO detector and nothing... new batteries, still nothing, so right before closing, running to Home Depot. Actually didn't hang the new one until I had arrived at the campsite for the trip.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 78
    Our 2015 CS detector died -but it is 7 yrs old. Got an replacement from rvpartscountry.com. Ordered after 5pm on a Tuesday. Received and installed by Saturday afternoon. The company was very good at keeping me informed about my purchase. I recommend them for their customer service. I'll be checking them out for other products too.

Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/