Spare Tire Questions

T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
The Thor T@B manual mentions that the standard alloy wheels and spare use different lug bolts; when using the spare (steel wheel) the use of the second set of lug bolts must be used. Does anyone know where the spare set of lug bolts would be? Are they tucked under with the spare underneath the T@B? Has anyone changed the spare wheel to be a an alloy wheel vs. steel rim to keep the same lug bolts or even to have a matching 3rd 205/55x16 tire?

I've looked underneath but not removed the spare yet to look around/under it. Is there also a jack tucked in with it or is that something that I should acquire if I don't see one stored anywhere else?
2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design

Comments

• leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I missed that about using different lug nuts. When I moved my spare I noticed that the nuts were different from the ones on the trailer.  But my problem with it is that is that there were only 2 holding the spare on it's mount. Where are the other 3 if they are necessary?
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • RadRad Member Posts: 516
    There were no additional lug nuts with my 2015 and I removed the spare and put it on the tounge. It would be good to know if additional ones are needed.  
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I missed that about using different lug nuts. When I moved my spare I noticed that the nuts were different from the ones on the trailer.  But my problem with it is that is that there were only 2 holding the spare on it's mount. Where are the other 3 if they are necessary?
    Rad said:
    There were no additional lug nuts with my 2015 and I removed the spare and put it on the tounge. It would be good to know if additional ones are needed.  
    The spare lug nuts are for the T@B's made prior to Little Guy making them. One or both, Thor and/or Dutchman used different lug nuts for the spare tire.

Don't worry about this on the T@B's made by the Pleasant Valley factory since 2011 (I think that's when the manufacturing changed).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Verna said:
    Rad said:
    The spare lug nuts are for the T@B's made prior to Little Guy making them. One or both, Thor and/or Dutchman used different lug nuts for the spare tire.

Don't worry about this on the T@B's made by the Pleasant Valley factory since 2011 (I think that's when the manufacturing changed).
    Great!  You are on top of it again, thanks.
    Thanks. I noticed that it took a different size wrench for the spare but since the threads were the same I just didn't think much of it. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
    Just one more thing. I moved my spare at home when I discovered that it takes a different size wrench than the one that fits the others. If I had been on the road I wouldn't have the wrench that fit... Bad.
  • T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    I pulled our spare Sunday night out from under our T@B and inspected it. Looks new/great condition. I am glad I pulled it out though under controlled conditions (not under duress). It wasn't easy; I can't imagine having to get under there and pulling it out without it falling on me when it's dark, raining, and on the side of a road - you know, all the right conditions for when you really need the spare!

I'm not thinking of tongue mounting for at least a big trip coming up where the roads aren't the best. Has anyone tried this mount? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Aluminum-Adjustable-Spare-Tire-Mount-Tongue-Trailer-RV-Wall-Mount-Camper-/370866255853

Or are there recommendations for a good side tongue mount that will not impede use of the tongue jack/wheel stand?
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I agree, wouldn't want to mess with the spare under like that. I moved mine.
    I can't tell from that link photo how the tire is actually mounted but how would that work on a T@B with the propane cover - mounted sideways in front? Seems that would definitely get in the way of the jack.
    The one I use is like this... https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Fulton/FHDSTC0101.html ... Bought mine at a marine store.
    I also installed a Jack-E-Up so I could remove the jack ... http://jack-e-up.com/
  • AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    The nuts that come off the spare mounted UNDER the T@B, are for the spare tire holder.  The nuts you will need if you use the spare will come from the flat tire.  I had my spare mounted on the tongue also.  Eventually, I want to set my tongue up like this picture.  The sewer hose is stored in a 5" x 5" PVC fence post behind the dual propane tanks.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Allie do you have the RhinoFLEX sewer hose system? The reason I ask is that with the larger flanges on the system do not allow them to fit into a standard 4" round pipe. As such, I was wondering if the 5" x 5" fence post was large enough. I did consider using a 6" pipe but that seems rather large to me.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    mawebb, Yes, I do have the RhinoFLEX.  I had it on my other trailer too, and the 5" PVC fence post was perfect.  This is what it looked like on my other trailer.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH