Dutchman TaB Replacement Bearings (Alko chassis)

mdomb529mdomb529 Member Posts: 39
Hi everyone.  Skip to the bulleted list if you're impatient and would like to learn what I've learned about the wheel bearings on 2006 (and probably other) Dutchmen T@b trailers.

I became impatient waiting for spring to finally come, particularly with the Covid-19 situation, so I got my 2006 Dutchmen T@b out of storage a little early (for Wisconsin, at least) and brought it to my local T@b dealer for an inspection (the first time I've done this since purchasing it 18 months ago).  I was happy to learn that the unit is generally in great shape, with a few relatively minor unsurprising exceptions that have been taken care of.  However, the dealer found that the wheel bearings needed replacing, and because my T@b uses the old Alko (European) chassis, the bearings are different than those used on newer T@bs.  Because the world is currently shut down due to Covid and these particular bearings are apparently an oddity in the American market, the dealer was unable to locate the OEM bearings at any of its available distributors.  I did some follow-up research myself, and here's what I learned:

*PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT A MECHANIC; THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS CORRECT TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE.  I AM A LAWYER, HOWEVER, SO INCORPORATE THAT INTO YOUR JUDGMENT REGARDING WHETHER ANY OF THIS INFORMATION IS RELIABLE.  ;)

• The OEM part is Alko Double Row Split Inner Bearing, Alko Part number 581736.  
  • Edit:  It appears that, in addition to the sealed bearing itself, the Alko part comes as a "kit" and includes a flange nut and "Circlip."  See the picture below.  The aftermarket parts I've found don't seem to come with these additional components, and I haven't yet discovered comparable aftermarket replacements for these components. 
  • I checked directly with Elsie at Nucamp, and they are stocking these bearings still, but Nucamp is currently dealing only with T@b dealers, so I couldn't get additional information from Nucamp regarding price.  My local dealer is following up with Nucamp tomorrow, and I will update this post when I learn additional information.
  • The measurements of the bearing are as follows:  Internal diameter 30mm - Outer diameter 60mm - Width 37mm
  • Based on my research, alternative reference numbers for aftermarket replacements seem to include (a) URB 633313; (b) GRW120; (c) BRG541; (d) IR8040; and (e) DAC3060W.  The first two numbers (633313 and GRW120) are the ones that were most useful in finding compatible replacement parts.
  • These same bearings were used in a number of European cars, most of which didn't seem to make it to the American market.  While the following information may seem superfluous, it may enable you to find the bearing at your local auto parts store if none of the reference numbers above do the trick:  Fiat Fiorino 1977-1984; Fiat Uno 1983-1992; Fiat X1/9 1973-1979; Fiat 127 1971-1986; Fiat 128 1975-1984; Lada Samara 1988-1994; Lancia A112 1981-1986; Seat Fura 1984-1986; Volvo 340/360 1982-1991
  • As of March 31, 2020, the most readily-available replacement part (in the U.S.) is made by both National and Timkin, both under part number 513116.  Each bearing can be found for around $40 with shipping and tax, sometimes a little less with a coupon (I found them at Carid.com for $35 each using a 10% off coupon).  Again, these aftermarket parts do not come with the nut or circlip.
  • The hub/axle associated with the Dutchmen T@b appears to be Alko Part number 1637.  I also see "Drum #K122" pop up in listings for the bearing, but it's not clear to me what this part number refers to.
Again, I'm no expert, but I wanted to share the information I've learned in case it can save somebody else some time.  If you know any of this information to be incorrect or have additional information, please let me know.

Stay healthy! 

- Matt
Matt
Appleton, Wisconsin
2006 Dutchmen T@B ("Fuego")
TV: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    edited April 2020
    Thank for being so thorough @mdomb529.  I put this information in the User Manuals/PDF Files category under "Dutchman T@B Resources".  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Shwigg79Shwigg79 Member Posts: 5
    I am in the process of figuring out this whole bearing conundrum for my 2008 t@b Dutchman.  I have only found one mechanic near Nashville who is willing and hopefully able to check and potentially replace my wheel bearings. I have been back and forth with Al-Ko in Germany about replacement parts, trying to determine the correct parts and cost for them to be shipped.  I have to admit this is a huge turnoff for me concerning our camper.  It shouldn’t be so difficult to have something serviced that is so important.  I’m not sure what bearings others have found on this thread, but from what I’ve learned the bearings come prepacked in a “cartridge” type unit and the whole unit must be replaced, from my understanding you cannot just repack new bearings.  

This is the quote I received from Germany, although they accidentally thought I needed parts for 2 axles so the parts are actually doubled for what I’d need 
  • mdomb529mdomb529 Member Posts: 39
    Shwigg79 said:
    . . . from what I’ve learned the bearings come prepacked in a “cartridge” type unit and the whole unit must be replaced, from my understanding you cannot just repack new bearings. . .
    That is correct, @Shwigg79.  The bearings for the Dutchmen T@b are "sealed" and so can't be repacked.  Contact Elsie at Nucamp directly (nuparts@nucamprv.com) regarding the parts you identified above.  She can work with a dealer to have the parts drop-shipped directly to you.  My understanding from my dealer is that the bearings are extremely easy to install.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    I’m taking my tab to a shop today, I’ll let you know what happens 
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    If you want to order from nuCamp, and need to use a dealer, contact Princess Craft in Texas or Missouri Teardop Trailers. Those two dealers know the parts ordering process, and will have the parts drop shipped directly to you.

Changing out the bearings is not that hard. I've done it twice. We jack up the trailer and put it on jackstands, then use an impact drill to remove the nut. Then we take the hubs and the new bearings to a a local machine shop, and they press them out and in for us for $10 each. Then we pick up the hubs later that afternoon and reassemble. Note that the one use nut needs to be torqued to 220 foot lbs.

It would also be helpful to purchase a pair of these. You might bung up the originals getting them off.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PACK-55mm-AL-KO-Dust-Cap-Wheel-Hub-Trailer-Caravan-Bearing-Grease-Alko/143374305822?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Debf20a90ad504b60a23529c099446e4c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D401510288799%26itm%3D143374305822%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Sunny2WSSunny2WS Member Posts: 28
    This is all extremely helpful info.  I own a 2006 Dutchman T@B, and the hand brake on the hitch went out and is not working at all and there seems to be something wrong with the brakes.  I just spent several weeks trying to locate anyone who would be able to work on the T@B.  Also feels like there is a lot of drag/pull when towing, so I want to have the bearings replaced.  I ended up taking it to a place that specializes in hitch replacement, and the plan (after I spoke with them extensively about the potential rare parts issue), was to take the coupler off and replace with whole new hitch.  They called me yesterday to say they could not do any work on my hitch to replace it "because of the way it is made".  I thought this specialty hitch place would be my best bet.  There are only a few actual T@B dealers in the Seattle area - is my next best bet to take it in to the dealer and talk to them?  I am almost ready to take it in as a trade because I feel like it is not safe to tow anywhere, and cannot sell it with the brakes out.  When I have called the T@B dealer in the area, they do not seem to be very knowledgeable about the older T@Bs.  A neighbor suggested a boat repair shop?
    2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
  • gderrickgderrick Member Posts: 15
    Just this past week I had my bearings replaced and the brakes adjusted (shoes were good).  My local RV shops were like yours with little knowledge of the Dutchmen AL-KO trailer so I had to do a lot of calling before I found a shop that seemed capable of the job.  When searching I would ask if they had a press for taking out and installing the bearings and experience working with surge brakes.  Several of the places I called would argue that sealed bearings and surge brakes are never used on a camper so I would scratch them from the list and move on.  In the end, I found a repair shop for semi-trucks that also does a little RV work that not only had the press but had previous experience with AL-KO boat trailers.  It helped that I supplied bearings that I had bought from another forum member so no issues finding parts.  All seems well with the job and the bearings they removed came out clean and undamaged so I'm carrying them as spares should I have a breakdown.  I'm in the Desert Southwest so not many boat shops around here but surge brakes are common with boat trailers so a boat repair shop should have the technical knowledge but parts availability could be an issue.
    2006 T@B
    Sunny2WS said:
    This is all extremely helpful info.  I own a 2006 Dutchman T@B, and the hand brake on the hitch went out and is not working at all and there seems to be something wrong with the brakes.  I just spent several weeks trying to locate anyone who would be able to work on the T@B.  Also feels like there is a lot of drag/pull when towing, so I want to have the bearings replaced.  I ended up taking it to a place that specializes in hitch replacement, and the plan (after I spoke with them extensively about the potential rare parts issue), was to take the coupler off and replace with whole new hitch.  They called me yesterday to say they could not do any work on my hitch to replace it "because of the way it is made".  I thought this specialty hitch place would be my best bet.  There are only a few actual T@B dealers in the Seattle area - is my next best bet to take it in to the dealer and talk to them?  I am almost ready to take it in as a trade because I feel like it is not safe to tow anywhere, and cannot sell it with the brakes out.  When I have called the T@B dealer in the area, they do not seem to be very knowledgeable about the older T@Bs.  A neighbor suggested a boat repair shop?
    Everything on the Al-Ko brake mechanism is cable based. It sounds like the cable to the brake system has become disconnected or misadjusted. Some pictures of underneath your trailer would be helpful. Yes, a boat TRAILER shop, as there are many boat trailers that are on the Al-Ko frame. There are also zerk fittings under the hitch assembly to lubricate the brake system.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2020
    I second going to a boat trailer shop.  Most boat trailers use surge brakes, and some have a similar setup,to,the DM Tab.  Also, boat trailer bearings are pressed in, so they will have the required tools.  We have one here that has expanded to fixing both RV and Boat trailers.  Some independent RV repair shops are also very good options.  Look around at what is available to you in your area.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.

2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited August 2020
    The DM T@B brake system is bicycle brake simple.  Any decent mechanic with the parts provided will figure it out in a few minutes.  Along with the two pdf files about operation and adjustment any one with basic tools and mechanical skills can easily do the work.  When I here of shops that say they can't do the work I really wonder who is doing the work there!!  
    I left my hand  brake set on accidentally on a leg of a long trip and needed to do a bearing replacement at a camp ground.  I waited two days for a $60 "overnight delivery" of a $40 bearing.  When the CG maint guy found out what I was doing, he basically pushed me out of the way and did virtually the entire job at the CG with tools available.  Ever since that trip I travel with a bearing set and brake kit with me.  I have never needed them or had to replace the bearings or brakes since then (~50k miles).
    I would find a good small private shop that is willing to take a look and I expect it will be a reasonable repair job.  Parts are readily available on UK web sites as these trailers are still built in a very similar fashion to the DM units and many older units are on the road there.

I found a mechanic today (just when I had nearly decided to trade in for a newer model). We’ll see what happens. 

The dealer (only one in WA) told me their shop has worked on them before, but would only work on it if I brought it in as a trade for a new 2021 model ($2000 non refundable deposit) and unit on back order until October. That kind of irked me, so now I’m back to fixing the old gal. 
    2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2020
    That WA dealer is not doing what a dealer is supposed to do, provide support, regardless of where purchased, that is what being a Dealer is about. A Dealer is part of a network for selling and servicing the brand (TaB nüCamp in this case).  Working on older models like the DM Tab, is up in the air, but holding the job ransom over buying a new unit is over the top!  This would also be my last visit to that dealer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Rosey62Rosey62 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 t@b it's in great shape. It has new tires, and "  neverlube" bearings.I want to have the surge brake system checked. I am in the Seattle area. Can anyone recommend a boat trailer shop?
    Sunny2WS said:

It appears that all the "pieces" are there, so perhaps just some adjustment. AND lubrication. There are zerk fittings under the tongue that needs grease.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • BrittBritt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Tab. The wheels are sealed and I have 60000 miles on it. What should I do??
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Britt - your Dutchman TaB sealed bearings do not need to be greased, but depending on the mileage, they may need to be replaced.  Some owners carry a second set of bearings just in case.  Maybe @Mouseketab, @TABaker, or @rfuss928 will chime in here.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Britt said:
    I have a 2008 Tab. The wheels are sealed and I have 60000 miles on it. What should I do??
    I have replaced mine twice now. Once in 2012 and again in 2019. You can contact any T@B dealer and order the bearing kit from nuCamp (they stock them for us.) We jack up the trailer and put it on jackstands, then remove the wheels and hubs. Then we take the hubs to a local motorcycle machine shop. They press the old bearings out and press in the new ones for about 20 bucks. Then we put it all back together. You need a wrench with 220 lbs torque to tighten the 1 use nut.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @Britt
    Your sealed bearings cannot be repacked only replaced as a unit. To test lift wheels off the ground. Place your hands at 3 and 9 o’clock wiggle right to left. There should be little or no movement side to side. Then spin the wheel. It should spin freely with no noise coming from the center hub. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Update on my ongoing attempts at fixing my 2006 Dutchmen T@B brakes. (9 weeks so far working on this, 2 RV shops, and 1 lost bearing kit shipped from Germany). Found a truck/welding shop that does RV work also, say they can work on my trailer - but they were backlogged with work for 3 weeks, which was perfect since I had ordered the bearings off eBay and was waiting for them. Now, bearing envelope/with invoice arrived 4 weeks later, had been “repackaged at network distribution center” and empty envelope. Waited 2 weeks in the hopes that the package might arrive, no bearings yet. 
    Today, trying to contact Elsie at Nucamp to see if she can work with me at getting bearings. I won’t take it in to the local T@B dealer, as they are the people who told me they will only work on my trailer if I buy a new model (and bring it in as a trade). $&@“!$. 

I have contacted many boat repair shops, RV shops etc. seems like this should not be this difficult. I’m about ready to sell my T@B and buy a newer model just because getting repairs on this is too difficult in the Seattle area. 
    2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
    edited September 2020
    Found this quick on ebay..  This is the correct kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caravan-Trailer-ALKO-Euro-Bearing-Kit-641551/373053522746?hash=item56dbb9033a:g:NT0AAOSwL01evqHA

For brakes, bearings and drums ALKO 1637 is the model of the DM parts.  That term significantly improves search results

rfuss928 said:

And keep in mind that the ebay link is for one wheel only - you'll have to order two kits.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    mdomb529 said:
    rfuss928 said:

And keep in mind that the ebay link is for one wheel only - you'll have to order two kits.
    OK so then  this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Double-Row-Sealed-Trailer-Bearing-Kit-ALKO-606250-Indespension-Ref-ISHU145/401500538467?epid=28015777329&hash=item5d7b4c0663:g:kvYAAOSwIH1al8sR

Good find - That's a really good price.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Thanks!
    I ordered these off eBay. Keeping fingers crossed this brings some success. 
    2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
    Sunny2WS   As I have stated before.  The Alko chassis is a very basic design that IMO is elegantly simple.  The brakes and bearings can be rebuilt easily by virtually any mechanic willing to take a look and supplied the parts.  This is not a repair needing specialized equipment or skills.  It shocks me when folks speak of troubles finding a shop that will do the work.  Don't be fooled into thinking this is something special or complicated by folks that just aren't interested.  Possibly a local "handyman" would even do the job in your driveway. Pressing the old bearings out and new ones in is the toughest step.  Bring the hubs and bearings into a local full service auto shop and they should do that step usually quickly and inexpensively.  Persist and you will prevail.
    Most of all - have fun!
    Bob

rfuss928 said:
    Sunny2WS   As I have stated before.  The Alko chassis is a very basic design that IMO is elegantly simple.  The brakes and bearings can be rebuilt easily by virtually any mechanic willing to take a look and supplied the parts.  This is not a repair needing specialized equipment or skills.  It shocks me when folks speak of troubles finding a shop that will do the work.  Don't be fooled into thinking this is something special or complicated by folks that just aren't interested.  Possibly a local "handyman" would even do the job in your driveway. Pressing the old bearings out and new ones in is the toughest step.  Bring the hubs and bearings into a local full service auto shop and they should do that step usually quickly and inexpensively.  Persist and you will prevail.
    Most of all - have fun!
    Bob
    Exactly, we have a local machine shop that presses out and in our bearings for $20.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • bambooflybamboofly Member Posts: 4
    I found these that will fit my 2004 Dutchman Tab.The first are after market and the second are AL-KO. The second come from UK. I have an email to them asking if they ship to the USA. I found them from their competitor, but they only shipped inside the UK. https://www.amazon.com/AB_Tools-Sealed-Wheel-Compact-Bearing/dp/B075FWPP3K/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=477DFXVJ5R5KZYN40EPH

https://www.thebearingcompany.co.uk/products/581736-al-ko-trailer-caravan-bearing/