Options

Dutchman TaB Replacement Bearings (Alko chassis)

2»

Comments

• Options
    vodenvoden Member Posts: 2
    @Sunny2WS

Did you get this all sorted? I'm asking because I'm considering buying a 2007 T@B but I'm waiting to see if I can actually get the wheel bearing kit and brake parts here in Canada.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sunny2WSSunny2WS Member Posts: 28
    I was able to have wheel bearings shipped from England and a mechanic changed them out. But the brake mechanism on the hitch I was never able to get fixed. Even though it is an extremely simple set up. Was a total disaster and I ended up selling the 2006 t@b and getting a new one. I took the trailer to 7 different mechanics over 2 years, spent several thousand dollars, and no one was willing to take the time to fix it. I suspect it is even worse now with supply chain issues being worse. The last mechanic I took the 2006 to eventually just removed the brakes entirely because he said he would not be able to get the parts. Very frustrating. 

I traded the t@b in at the dealer and they swore up and down they would be able to fix it before they resold it.  I told them they would not be able to get the parts for the brakes.  I happened to go back to the dealer the next week because I had left something attached to the t@b, and they had already resold the t@b without brakes. 

I would not personally buy the Dutchman t@b at this point unless you are a mechanic, and even then it will be very difficult to get parts for the hitch if you ever need them. 
    2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
  • Options
    Sunny2WSSunny2WS Member Posts: 28
    Also, every single mechanic claimed
    they could fix it (I spoke with many on the phone or in shop extensively about the problem before bringing the t@b in) then take the t@b down to the shop. Every time same story - they would call in a few days when they discovered they could not get the parts and say they could not fix it. 
    2021 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
  • Options
    vodenvoden Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. Anyone still here for these old Dutchmen T@Bs? I bought a 2007, even after seeing Sunny@WS experience above.

First, I ordered these 606250 /633313 bearings from ABTools in UK and they arrived within a couple of weeks. I haven't had them put on though so I can't confirm they work. I notice that our ALKO Axel 1637 seems to be 35mm and these are 37mm but the stats say they will fit: 

BEARING SIZES

633313 = ID30mm x OD60mm x W37mm

SUITABLE FOR (TRAILERS)

ALKO 160mm x 35mm brake shoe size drums
    ALKO 606260 / 581311 Drum

Here's hoping...?

Second, I am looking at these brake shoes on Ebay (from a reference above I think).  Sunny's T@B had a problem with the hitch brake it seems, but I'm just wanting to replace the shoes preventatively, like the bearings.

Does anyone know if these are the right shoes? It matches the bearings stats above, but I don't know if that's enough.

Thanks!

• Options
    nhtrekkernhtrekker Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2022
    Hello @voden. I have a 2004 with the Alko frame. My local small shop RV repair service replaced the sealed bearings on my T@B.   I already had the part.  It was SKF GRW120 and was ordered from UK or Europe by the previous owner.  However, I see that NAPA carries the same part.  Not sure if this helps but wanted to share.  Regarding brakes, I don’t have relevant experience with that.  
  • Options
    tcassemtcassem Member Posts: 11
    I just checked today with NuCamp and my local RV sales place. The price for two wheel bearing kits was $297.07 with shipping. I was shocked. I will look for a different replacement. Has anyone reused the wheel nut when replacing the bearings?
  • Options
    fathomfathom Member Posts: 2
    ebay uk  for brake shoes and many other Alko parts