Tow Vehicles

JulieniecJulieniec Member Posts: 2
we have a CR-V & are very interested in buying a t@b, but just saw thar our towing capacity is only 1500 lbs. we know we can easily tow more than this because we've used it with our pop-up camper. but...now concerned about insurance coverage. anyone have any experience with this issue?

Comments

• Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2015
    I've read conflicting information on this, but I think the bottom line is that it depends on your coverage.  You'd probably need to read the fine print and/or call the insurance company.  That said, I'd worry less about whether insurance would cover damage and more about a potential lawsuit in the event of a major accident.  I'm sure any ambulance-chasing lawyer would make a case for negligence in a civil suit.  Even more, I'd hate to think of worst-case scenario criminal charges.  Of course, my thinking is definitely a little skewed this week because I watched a mock trial entailing manslaughter charges for someone texting while driving.  In the mock trial, the defendant was found guilty of the "lesser charge" of criminally-negligent homocide.  Eek!  Sorry for the dramatic response, but that trial left me spooked!
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep lawsuits are awful. 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Julieniec, Another thing to consider when towing with your CR-V is that it may tow a heavier pop-up, but a T@B has a lot larger frontal area to it than your pop-up does. The frontal area would put a major stain in your engine and drive line. I wouldn't recommend it.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Some new information to think about: 
    I called and talked to my State Farm agent's office. If you are involved in an accident with another vehicle while pulling a camper with a vehicle that is not rated for towing that camper, State Farm will extend coverage to the other vehicle, but not to yours and your camper. Your coverage would be reviewed by an underwriter to see if you would be allowed to remain covered with State Farm. She noted that many of the lesser expensive insurance companies  might not extend coverage for the other driver and you may have to pay for their damages and those of yourselves.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”