Options

Back Panel lose and has anyone removed their tv?

VdunajVdunaj Member Posts: 5
Hi! 

We need some help!  We have a 2017 Tab 400.  After we left having warranty work done and drove 2 hours, we found out the back ceiling panel over the bed had come loose.  The screw, on the panel closest to the radio controls and the lights over the bed, had bounced out of its attachment to the ceiling and just slides in and out now with no grasp.  I don't want to mess it up more so I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and has a solution?

We also are considering removing the TV to use the shelf for more practical uses as we never use the tv in the camper.  Has anyone else taken theirs out?  If you do is it possible to reinstall easily at a later date?  Will the screws hold again or will it be like my panel and difficult.  Just thinking if we do we may need to reinstall for resale. I know it is a thin skin and don't want to do something I will regret if we want to put it back later.  We have a cute picture that will just cover the holes and open up the area more. 

Thanks for any help!  We are excited to be hitting the road again soon for the summer.  Stay safe and well!  God bless!

Victoria Dunaj

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Can you post a photo of the issue with the panel?  I can't quite visualize the situation.
    The Television can be removed.  Putting it back should not be a problem if you pay attention to how you removed it.  When reinstalling the mounting arm to the wall do it gently.  Don't use a drill/driver to reinstall the  screws.  Do it with a screwdriver and just snug the screws tightly.  Don't try to really bear down for that last little bit of torque on the screws.  That is how you strip out the screw holes on a thin substrate.  That may be what happened to your back panel.
  • Options
    VdunajVdunaj Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2020
    Thanks!  Yes I will send a  pic over.

(Photo size reduced.)

I don't even see a screw head or anything on it, they must have used a gun of some type to install originally.  
    So not real sure what all I can do.  Has me stumped!  Thanks for the help!  :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    there should be a screw under the “button”. Feel on the back of the cloth panel for it. If not, email tech@nucamprv.com and ask him how long the screw should be and what size it is.  The button should just pop off of the screw head and can be reinstalled after you are done. 

To install the screw back in the hole, grab some glue (wood glue or white glue, or super glue) and tooth picks. Put the toothpicks in the screw hole in the ceiling, putting glue on each tooth pick. Let the glue dry....60 minutes would be good. Then, with a screwdriver, not a drill, gently screw the screw into the original hole. Do not over tighten. This fix should last a long time if you are patient and gentle with the fix. Don’t forget to put the button back on the screw head. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Looks like either didn't get screwed in far enough to hold or it was over driven and wallowed out the hole in the ceiling panel.  As Verna said the screw is likely still held under the decorative cloth button.  First thing to try is to pry the decorative button off (use a flat bladed screwdriver) and see if you can rescrew the panel in place.  The screw will take a #2 square head drive screwdriver--as do almost all of the other screws in a TAB.  You can find square head screwdrivers at Lowe's and it would be handy to have a set of #1 and #2 sizes.  If the threads have pulled through the screw won't "bite" when you try to install it.  If so, use Verna's suggestion to fill the hole enough to give the screw something to grab when you drive it in.