The current state of camping in Oklahoma

atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
We live in a like side community on a beautiful lake in Central/ North eastern Oklahoma.  There are about 2000 lots here with a few of us full time, a lot of transient lot owners and the balance of about one half undeveloped.  Having the transient group means that the summer week ends are time to find a different place to be.  There is a nice old state park across the lake and smaller in camping/rv area.  We sometimes drive through the camping area on week ends to see what type campers are out.  Oklahoma recently opened back some of the areas and still has some health related regulations in place.  The camping area is approximately one block square area with aroung 45 or so mixed spots.  about one third with full hook ups and some with only a space.  Most have shared water if any water at all.  The rest room s are WPA/ CCC era and have had minimal up grades with about 3 or 4 stalls per male/ female.  What we saw today as we drove through was totally over run with campers vehicles and boats.  People had occupied almost every possible space with no regard for their neighbor.  Last year in Oklahoma was mostly a bust for camping as we had record flooding at most areas for a large part of the season and much site damage.  After seeing the total over saturation at the park today,  Looking like it is time to make that spot in the back yard to fit the 400 and back yard camp until people get it back together.  I know that we have mostly all been on some type of lock down, but this is not looking good at this point. 
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @atlasb, are the COE’s in Oklahoma open yet?  I need to “run” to Tulsa to pick some solar panels I’ve purchased from a friend. 

I’m actually not in a hurry, but the friend who will following me wants to experience COE campgrounds as she’d never been to one. Plus it’s a short vacation and a time to get out for a short time. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @atlasb that sounds really bad, and unfortunately not an isolated incident. As a dear friend used to say “they must have kite fuel for brains!”
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Verna,  Haven't heard that the COE sites are up and running yet.  Last we heard they were going to take their time getting them open.  Might look at their web to see.  We do prefer the COE sites when we can get in.  Lake Eufaula has several COE sites and they are much nicer than our state parks.  Keystone lake has a couple also and we have some on Lake Tenkiller where we are at.  They are older though and still have some storm damage from tornadoes last year. 

2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @atlasb, I was at Keystone Lake last April when a tornado hit about 40 miles north. It was an interesting night with the weather radio and the iPhone apps telling me what was going on and where. Keystone lake had constructed a new tornado shelter bathroom in the off season the year before, so I knew Sunny Day and I could run across the campground for shelter, 

Thanks for the info. Late June to mid July (not July 4th!) would be the timeframe I’m looking at. 

I was really impressed with the COE campgrounds across the northern part of Oklahoma and  Arkansas. Kentucky has some good ones also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”