Longer receiver hitch...is it safe?

julzjulz Member Posts: 32
Okay...I need some advice:
I've read the posts about where the safest place to carry your bike while towing a T@B, so I bought a multi hitch receiver so I could mount it behind my car...the problem is I don't think I have enough clearance for turns.  Does anyone have experience with a longer shaft hitch receiver, and is it safe?

Comments

• julzjulz Member Posts: 32
    Just to clarify...I want to extend the piece that the ball is on with a longer shafted receiver, 12 1/4" long vs. the standard shaft of 8 1/2"

Does anyone have any experience with the extra length and will that mess with towing?
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I have one that I use to tow my boat with. Spare tire on tv makes it necessary. A label on it has info on how much your capacity is reduced. I've had no problems and used it briefly with my T@B. It does change the backing some but seems to make it easier.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I used one for one trip on my Silver Shadow teardrop.  I didn't like how it felt.  The weight distribution seemed different, although I had changed absolutely nothing inside the teardrop, nor on the tongue. 

A number of T@B owners are choosing to use the extended receiver to carry their bikes, and none of them have said anything about it feeling "different". 

Do a search for bike carrier (upper right corner of this page), and you should be able to come up with a couple of discussions about the extended receivers.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thank you, both, for your comments.  This forum is really amazing.
  • jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    If you use a bike rack holder which is welded to your original ball insert, your tongue weight will increase for what you but on the holder.  Looking at your picture, it looks like you are using an extension, all information I have seen with the use of an extension, DECREASES the capacity by 50%!!!  Just be aware!
    Check out etrailer.com for more information.
    Im sorry to be dense about this, but what are the consequences of increasing the tongue weight?
    Example, your trailer weighs 2000 lbs loaded, the ideal tongue weight would be 10 to 15 % of the trailer weight.  The tongue weight would be 200 to 300 lb.  Say your vehicle has a tongue weight capacity of 350 lb, you would be fine, but using an extension on your hitch, your capacity is cut in half, 175 lb.  You are at risk, check out etrailer.com under trailer hitch extensions for more thorough explanations.  Lot of questions being answered there for trailer towing,
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2015
    Julz, your vehicle has a specification that tells you what the max tongue weight capacity is for your vehicle. The extension cuts that capacity in half.

Extending the ball out away from the vehicle puts more leverage on the hitch, and therefore more weight on the suspension, increasing both up and down stresses as well as side to side.

The towing vehicle will handle differently, and will be pulled around differently by the trailer, with any sway you might have, or with sudden changes in direction, like in an emergency maneuver.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I personally didn't like the one the dealer sold me which had a length of about 11 1/2 ". I purchased one online that was  8 3/4" and have been much happier with it as there is less movement in the receiver. I also purchased Roadmaster Quiet Hitch anti-rattle device which has also helped a lot.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
    ok.  Checked it all out and the max tongue weight capacity for my vehicle is 770 lbs. Thank you to everyone for for your advice and support.