2021 T@B 320S Bathroom Door Interference

mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
edited June 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
The bathroom door hits the ceiling in the front of the T@B when opening it. I'm assuming this is a new problem with the 2021 solid door?  It seems like just a matter of time before the ceiling shows some sign of wear or damage.  I installed the temporary fix shown below and have a question into NuCamp to see if they have a better idea.  My interim fix is a piece of swim noodle split lengthwise  but thicker pipe insulation would probably work too.  Hmmm... I might have to find a different color if it stays in place very long.

(Photo edited for size.)

2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @mntrails, apparently, you are not alone......see May 13th post by @Addison on the below post.  I seem to recall someone else raising this issue on the forum as well.  If you get tired of the swim noodle, you might look for a clear adhesive rubber/silicone bumper that could be adhered to the ceiling (something like those small silicone bumpers used for drawers and cabinet doors.)  Or, with a little searching, there may be something out that that would fit over the edge of the top of the door in that area and accomplish the same thing.  You would just need to find the smallest one possible to do the job and be minimally noticeable.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/137338#Comment_137338
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Please contact your dealer with this information for a warranty claim. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    I heard back from NuCamp, they said they are working on a fix and will let me know when.  
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    NuCamp sent me a white strap and two screws that they say will limit the travel of the door.  They provided 3 pictures.  It looks like they want the strap applied to the top of the door but the other two pictures are of too small an area and its really unclear exactly where they want me to put the screws.  - has anyone installed this yet and can provide guidance?  If not, I'll get back to NuCamp for more directions. Thanks
    I too am waiting on instructions on the strap, i have it but they provided me nothing for instructions. I emailed them asking, havent heard back 
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    I'm guessing the strap should be mounted about like the strap on my TAB400 closet and bathroom doors.  It is not important where the strap is screwed to the door or the inside of the bathroom as long as it isn't in your way  as you operate the doors.  Also.  You want to install the end on the inside of the bathroom first and then judge where it should go on the door.  The strap has a "slight" bit of stretch so open the door to the point where you want it to stop (obviously before it hits the ceiling) and then back off about 1/2 inch and anchor the strap at that point.

edited June 2020
    I have an email into NuCamp asking for clarification as well. The picture they sent implies wrapping the strap around the door and hinge side door jam. There isn't any top door jam as in @falcon1970's picture (unfortunately)... just the T@B roof.  I'm hoping they can provide more guidance for a straight forward, simple installation. I'd like to get it right the first time.

• xdrxdr Member Posts: 259
    I would be concerned the strap could get caught in the hinge occasionally when placed as shown in the picture. 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
    @mntrails can you post the pictures they sent you?
    edited June 2020
    I posted the most informative picture from NuCamp above. The other two are below.

• MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    This doesn't look all that nice though it solves the problem of scuffing the roof.  I would think a slightly lower door would work better and not need anything (my tubing or the sling).  But it may bring the door down too low.  Being short has it's advantages in the 320.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I agree @MarkAl...a slightly lower door would be my first choice too..I could be careful with the shower spray...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    Here's a screen shot from one of the 2021 videos that shows a good picture of the bathroom door area.  You'd have to lower the door about 3 inches or so, then contend with what bumper to use to keep from hitting the upper cabinet door.  So the problem would still exist... but just move from the ceiling to the cabinet door.

I'm liking my swim noodle foam more and more - if I can find a nice blue piece, it could be a keeper <laughing... but also partly serious>.

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    mntrails said:
    Here's a screen shot from one of the 2021 videos that shows a good picture of the bathroom door area.  You'd have to lower the door about 3 inches or so, then contend with what bumper to use to keep from hitting the upper cabinet door.  So the problem would still exist... but just move from the ceiling to the cabinet door.

I'm liking my swim noodle foam more and more - if I can find a nice blue piece, it could be a keeper <laughing... but also partly serious>.

I found a blue one last summer at the local dollar store, so they’re out there! I’d probably use a bit of pipe insulation myself, as that’s usually neutral gray. Or cover the pink in fabric?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    I posted this picture on another thread B4 I saw this one. It's not a blue noodle, more discrete clear tubing. It works but may still scuff the ceiling. 
  • ldfldf Member Posts: 3
    You might want to try searching Amazon for "Hinge Pin door stop" or similar terms.  Some may fit the hinge on the solid T@B 320 bathroom door and stop the door at 90 degrees or less.

Other possible fixes might involve the door handle or the bottom of the door and a straight-out rubber stop on a spring, though this is not very attractive.  How far is the door or handle from the kitchen cabinets?

Or maybe mount a "cleat" on the bottom edge of the door, at the hinge side, that is only one-quarter of a circle (90 degrees or less), sticks out about an inch and has a metal stop face plate mounted on the bathroom wall outside (kitchen side) so that the door "cleat" and wall stop touch.  The cleat may need some rubber or soft cover to prevent a person's shin from rubbing or bumping it when at the sink.

Last thought:  an L bracket mounted on the outside bathroom wall (kitchen side) at a level even with the bottom of the bathroom door.  Another not very attractive "projection" fix.
    I talked w/ NuCamp today about cutting down the door a few inches. Don't try it, the door is a hollow core so likely you'd have to fill the hollow and make it look nice again. At this point I'll stay with my clear tubing on the door top. I am looking for the door stop suggested but the hinge has a very small diameter so my chance of finding something I think is low.
    They sent me a strap, that attaches to wall and door, works great 
  • schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2021
    At my dealer's suggestion, I just installed a little rubber doorstop on the ceiling. Seems to work.  It's actually a foot for electronics.  

Photo edited for size.  Moderator

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited April 2021
    schout said:
    At my dealer's suggestion, I just installed a little rubber doorstop on the ceiling. Seems to work.  It's actually a foot for electronics. 
    I was thinking some type of small plastic white thing would work. This is a good idea.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited July 2020
    Great idea, though an agressive door hit may pull it off the ceiling. That said, I'll try it but look for a bumper with a large footprint within our aesthetic limits to maximize the support.
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    What is the distance between the open door and the galley shelf fascia? (red line)

Provided it's long enough could a door stop be installed into that board above the sink? (yellow dot)

If anyone asks it's the thingamajig that controls the watchamacallit. Don't pull on it or you'll be sorry.  =) 
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    2 1/2 to 3 inches would do it and I measured one in my house and it was 2 3/4 inches so it'd work but I worry about yet another thing to get poked right in the area. I am still learning to not hit my head on that blasted cabinent. 

I didn't realize it but we're experimenting with coat hook locations and this is today's experiment and it also worked as a doorstop!
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I stumbled upon this magnetic door stopper while searching for another item.  I wonder if it would work well on the bathroom door?

https://www.amazon.com/GGIENRUI-Magnetic-Stopper-Adhesive-Conceal/dp/B07GCGJ2HY/ref=sr_1_216?dchild=1&keywords=cabinet+magnet+bronze&qid=1595802790&s=hi&sr=1-216
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    MarkAl said:
    Great idea, though an agressive door hit may pull it off the ceiling. That said, I'll try it but look for a bumper with a large footprint within our aesthetic limits to maximize the support.
    We camped this weekend and it did fine.  Also, I couldn't buy a single piece, so I have back-ups if this one comes off!

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    How’s about this for the ceiling?  

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • GC3GC3 Member Posts: 20
    Is it safe to assume the ones currently coming from the factory have a fix applied?
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    we just received our 2021 CS-S Boondock last week..my solution.. a trip to  Home Depot ( located in Ontario Canada) and picked up a bumper and installed it just a bit above the door..works great! it's also 
    self adhesive!

Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
    Nucamp will send you the fix they have if you email them. 
  • Rodent77Rodent77 Member Posts: 79
    @Addison I'm still waiting on my trailer so what is the fix the send you?

2021 T@B320 S - 2013 Ridgeline - Ont. Can

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! What A RIDE!!”  Dr. Hunter S. Thompson