Options

2021 320S spare tire access

MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
edited September 2020 in Trailer & Towing
New owner of a Boondock, with some recent discussion on changing a flat figured I better do a dry run. SO located the nut to release the spare and noted a clever "nut adaptor" was included with the new owner items. However a long arm with excellent grip strength would be required to release the spare. I then spent some time going through my tool box and came up with a 7/8" socket + 10" drive extension + 3/8" hex adapter in conjunction w/ my drill, makes the process easy to drop the spare. Now I'll need to duplicate this set for my trailer tool kit or better idea, ask the forum! Anybody know of a device like a super long spark plug wrench? I don't want to move the spare yet as I prefer to use the front tray for other stuff...  Also I found the supplied adapter is a tight fit and was difficult to unjam on the nut so I went with a standard socket and since I carry a cross bar lug wrench it's not needed.
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    I used the stabilzer jack handle (stored under the passenger side wheel well compartment) as the extension and wrench for the spare tire.  It fits over the supplied socket (3/4" hex on the top).  You're right, the socket is a tight fit onto the spare tire lowering nut but it did work. 

When I put it back up, I find I have to raise it until the tire contacts the frame, then use my foot while sitting on the ground to push it toward the rear so that it sits level when raised.  It usually takes me a couple tries.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Duh, didn't think about using the stabilizer bar and the adapter. I'm not sure I would have thought of it during the stress of a flat tire. Always nice to display dumbness on the forum. Though the sticky adapter was tough to remove the one time I tried it, I'll want to wear it in I guess as I don't want to be cursing the nut with the hassle of changing the tire. Thanks

Though your comment on storing the stabilizer handle reminds me of the other minor rants on the 2021 why did NuCamp remove the door into that compartment - I hate having to raise the bench to get in there. The door was convenient to access chocks/leveler/handle/hose/cable. Also why leave a 2-3 inch toe grabber beside the bench? My wife and I both have tripped on this. Otherwise we love the changes.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited July 2020
    please read the caution on the side of the tongue. No drills are to be used to lower the spare. One owner has already broken the raise/lower assembly by using a drill. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I saw that and was using the screw driver torque limit feature. But good to remember!
  • Options
    zanthzanth Member Posts: 8
    @MarkAl are your hinges on the seat slats already broken from repeated lifting to get into the compartment, especially the passenger side one?  We just rented a newer 2021 320 and the hinge was already broken, way too short of screws used.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Not yet but I have grumbled that the side I use for storage of hose/cable/leveler requires I lift the back seat whereas the driver side doesn't. Haven't looked into it though. If there're 2 there's more! I'll need to be more careful. 
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    @zanth, I had the screws pull out of the passenger seat access door as well.  It ended up being a piece of 1x3 that the sliding slats are attached to was binding with the lower frame.  I used a block plane to bevel the last inch or 2 of the 1x3 so it wouldn't hit the lower frame and instead 'feed' smoothly into location. I also moved the hinge over 1/2" and I haven't had any problems since with the screws coming out.  It was a small adjustment but a big improvement.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, I haven't had the problem as much anymore. I was thinking the parts needed wearing in a bit. Maybe it's as simple it wears in or breaks :) But I'll look at it more closely now with this in mind.