How do you watch TV in your TaB?

KentsbKentsb Member Posts: 67
edited July 2020 in Products and Accessories
We will be heading out in a few days for our maiden voyage in our 2021 320CS-S Boondock. When we bought the unit we were told that they no longer provide a DVD player. At the time that made sense since streaming is the way to go. I would just download movies to my iPad and Airplay to the TV. Then I remembered that to run an Apple TV requires 110. We will rarely camp where there is shore power, or why get a Boondock. I could get a solar generator or find a 12v DVD player. I could also get a cheap laptop and run to the HDMI input. I am curious as to what everyone does to utilize the TV.

52 nights

Comments

• targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2020
    Don't bother with the aTV.  Just get the lightning to HDMI adapter and go straight from your iPhone/iPad to the TV.
    But, depending on your setup, doing so may mean you can only use the TV speakers instead of going through the Jensen.  (Plenty of threads on that.  And likely a problem even with the aTV.)
    Also, doing this will mean you have to use your iDevice to control playback instead of a remote.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The TV’s have always be 12V. Please check the back of your TV to verify there is a small 12V plug, not a 110V plug plugged into one of the ports. 

I mirror whatever is on my iPhone with an Apple adapter, which works well for me. 

You can also get a DVD player that plugs into your HDMI port on the TV and be sure to purchase a 150 to 300 watt inverter to plug the DVD player into. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • KentsbKentsb Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2020
    Verna ——-When you say Apple adapter, do you mean a Lightning to HDMI?

52 nights
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited July 2020
    Use this adapter to connect your iPad.
    Do not buy a knockoff as the Apple adapter has a chip that handles DRM (digital rights management). Without this chip you’ll probably have trouble with Netflix, etc. 
    There are mixed reports on whether the adapter will work without being plugged into a power source. I always plug mine in (12v when boondocking). 

I think that the new Jensen cube has an HDMI port on the front. I believe that it will send audio to the stereo speakers and video to the TV. Those of us with older systems have to connect the adapter to the TV which means no stereo sound. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Kentsb said:
    Verna ——-When you say Apple adapter, do you mean a Lightning to HDMI?
    Yes, the Lightening to HDMI adapter. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • 85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    We use an HDMI roku stick...it's powered by USB...on ours we plug it into the Jensen radio.  We use a phone hotspot for wifi.  We mostly watch YouTube TV and Netflix...all powered by DC.
    2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    85Redwood said:
    We use an HDMI roku stick...it's powered by USB...on ours we plug it into the Jensen radio.  We use a phone hotspot for wifi.  We mostly watch YouTube TV and Netflix...all powered by DC.
    I do the exact same thing except I'm using an Amazon FireTV stick. The 2021 Jensen 'Cube" model works very well for this use case.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Either the campground cable, or over the air, or if no signal at all, listen to XM radio (with a dedicated XM receiver), or watch DVDs.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL