Options

Moonshade

I have seen a lot of posts regarding awnings, so I thought I would share this. Bought a Moonshade for $325 and it works awesome. Took 5 minutes to put up using the suctions cups. 

2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Nice, where did you get it from?
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Thanks, looks good. 
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Ads for the MoonShade keep popping up in my facebook feed.  Looks like a good option for a solo camper.  How does it hold up to wind and rain, @cyoung?  I've seen posts that the attachments they sell that say they are for Keder rails do not work on T@Bs, that's unfortunate.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    I made my own bracket's that fit inside the rail. I am heading out this weekend camping so will take some pictures and post them.
  • Options
    Here are some pictures of the brackets I made for the moonshade attachments. Got everything at the local 
    hardware store for under $10.

hardware store for under $10
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    While I really like the Moonshade, I love my Larry’s Redneck Front Porch tarp awning better as it’s larger, sturdy in high winds, and cost less than $75 or so altogether. I do like your keder rail mod for it! Thanks for sharing!

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @cyoung - can you share the size of the flat head screws that fit the Keder rail?  We have a King Camp shelter that may work with this system.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    cyoung said:
    I have seen a lot of posts regarding awnings, so I thought I would share this. Bought a Moonshade for $325 and it works awesome. Took 5 minutes to put up using the suctions cups. 

Would you mind taking some close-ups of how you attached it to your trailer? You mentioned the suction cups but a visual would be helpful. Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    @mickietucs see the post above.  He shows the bracket used.  @cyoung - did you attach it to the roof rack?
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    @Sharon_is_SAM - thanks - but in the original post he said: "Took 5 minutes to put up using the suctions cups."   
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    boiseitesboiseites Member Posts: 23

Homebodyatheart - Where did you get your Larry's Redneck Front Porch tarp awning??
  • Options
    Suction cups do work but not in windy conditions as they will pop off. I only use the brackets now as they are
    secured into the rail. Screws are 8-32 1" stainless steel. Next outing I will take some closeups.
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    cyoung said:
    Suction cups do work but not in windy conditions as they will pop off. I only use the brackets now as they are
    secured into the rail. Screws are 8-32 1" stainless steel. Next outing I will take some closeups.
    To make your attachment device work on my 2017 320, I had to make some adjustments and thought to include them here.  

I used one inch long 12-24 combo round head pan screws with regular hex nuts and a locking nut to secure the attaching piece to the keder rail.   The original author used smaller diameter bolts (8X32) but they fell through my keder rail.  I put the bolt holes (drilled with a 7/32” bit) too close together to use wing nuts on the first one I made and adjusted them to be farther apart for the second one—Menard’s didn’t have that size wing nut, so for now the hex nut stays.  I put rubber tips over the bolt ends to prevent possible abrasion/puncture of the Moonshade.  The corner brace was purchased at Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/MiTek-6-in-G90-Corner-Brace-UB66/313507617  and I cut one side to 3.5” with a hack saw.  The eyebolts with nuts (1/4 x 2”), were also purchased at Home Depot.   I purchased additional nuts for the bottom side.  Try to get stainless steel components, if possible.   This was a trial run on in my driveway.  It passed the wife test and it seems quite sturdy.   BTW:  You can get a discount code to purchase it from the manufacturer by checking out YouTube Reviews. Thanks @c@cyoung.   

2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Dang I thought someone said moonshine.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Really looks like a possibility for the pup and I, when we might do a duet, without mom. I have been looking for something less cumbersome than our huge Clamshell.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    We just had Keder rope sewn to our Hasika sun shelter.  Plan to test it this weekend.  A nice alternative for short stays.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    We just had Keder rope sewn to our Hasika sun shelter.  Plan to test it this weekend.  A nice alternative for short stays.
    I'm kind of intrigued by this as a possibility for T@B CS. Theoretically you could put the flap over the clamshell (instead of an SUV tailgate). But I haven't found anyone who's tried it.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    That should work @Marceline.  We use a KingCamp / Laputa shelter over the rear of our CSS.  We use heavy suction cups to attach to the top of the TaB, then use poles on the other end.  We simply drop down the poles at night.  In case of wind/rain, it is easy to leave the shelter assembled and stake all four corners to the ground.  We can even keep our camp kitchen dry this way.
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    I checked it out but I think it's overpriced for the size and what you get. A standard SUV awning for a third of the price works well and mine held up through the tail end of a hurricane last year. With the edge over the top and just tying the two corners to the handles it's an easy set-up.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    SLJ said:
    I checked it out but I think it's overpriced for the size and what you get. A standard SUV awning for a third of the price works well and mine held up through the tail end of a hurricane last year. With the edge over the top and just tying the two corners to the handles it's an easy set-up.
    Lots of good options out there.  
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    We love our moonshade as well! We have had for two seasons and use on our longer stays. The stakes are not hardy enough. We use different stakes that are better for pounding into different terrains. We have only used the suction cup method for attaching and have had no issues with it coming off, but I love the bracket idea and am going to look into making some for our 400. 
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
  • Options
    @SLJ -- which awning is that you have there?  thanks

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 450
    PNWtabber said:
    @SLJ -- which awning is that you have there?  thanks
    This one but it's sold under several brand names: https://amzn.to/3aKaFwQ
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    @SLJ -- thanks.

• Options
    CanadianTabberCanadianTabber Member Posts: 131
    For those on the cheap, i made this for 100 bucks, so far it has held up well.
    https://youtu.be/dExpq7KqD6o
    2021 Tab 320s Boondock-2016 Toyota Venza V6
    Toronto, Canada
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I made my own awning, equally cheap and easy to sew both the Keder rail tape, tie down, pole tabs and pocket for the wand. It's ideal for me as if much wider than the standard 60" wide fabric width and it won't fit in many of the camping slots that are common in the PNW parks. BUT I like this concept as the door interference with the awning is eliminated. I would like two a wider and the narrow. I guess another project.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    So, this was the result of having Keder rope sewn onto the long edge of our Hasika.  We like it as we can move it towards the rear to clear the door.  Used it at uCamp.

• Options
    So, this was the result of having Keder rope sewn onto the long edge of our Hasika.  

Did you add the Keder rope yourself or did you have someone do it for you?  This looks like a great solution for me, as a solo camper who is trying to keep things simple and lightweight.

• Options
    We had an awning shop sew it.  They do awnings, car and boat covers, etc.