Options

WFCO control panel fan in 2021 T@B 320: regarding continuous running

The WFCO control panel (breakers & fuses) has a fan in it that I'm not sure how to turn off. Recently, when the camper is plugged into shore power, this fan now runs continuously, until shore power is disconnected.

I am not sure why/how this fan turns itself on, and I'm at a loss as to how to turn it off. BTW, no other fans are running at the same time, since the Alde heat, A/C, and Fantastic are not turned on.

Does anybody know where the controls are for this WFCO fan, or why it is triggered into running?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    The converter is cooling itself while it is charging your battery. There is no on/off switch.  What is your battery state of charge?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    edited September 2020
    It’s going to run while the converter is charging the battery. In my older clamshell with the 2way fridge this means it runs a lot when I’m on shore power because the fridge actually runs on 12v (battery). I’ve considered unplugging at night for that reason. I don’t know if the 2way fridge in the new T@Bs is wired the same way. I think that Norcold has a kit for adding 110 power but I don’t know about Isotherm. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    PonziPonzi Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for both of your comments.

Yes, the battery was low before being plugged into shore power.

Lower power than before, probably because of the constant drain of "negligible" things like the Jensen stereo, which cannot be totally shut off, and also the microwave, if you forget to unplug it from the wall.

But also, I left it on battery disconnect, even when not connected to shore power, and I think that that was a mistake.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    The microwave doesn’t draw power from the 12v system. 
    You should definitely have the battery switch in the cutoff (red) position whenever you’re not using the trailer (ie in storage) to eliminate parasitic drain. 
    How low was your battery? Be sure not to let it go below 50%. 
    If your battery was already starting from a low point + you were running the fridge it’s no wonder that the converter fan was constantly running. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    The "parasitic" drains of the Jensen/gas alarm...are only about 4 amps per day.  Which isn't very much per hour, so your converter should be able to charge that up without too much issue.  But, if the battery ( you don't say how many amp hours your battery has) was down to say, 60 percent, it might take more than a few hours to bring it to charge.
    The best way to prevent the parasitic drains after the battery is fully charged is to just turn it off at the switch.  It will hold a charge for quite a while. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi