Options

EAZ LIFT Sway Control Bar Sufficient on T@B 320 S?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    GatorEgg said:
    Check in your tow vehicles owners manual.  After thousands of miles my Boondock 320 didn’t need any sway, it towed fine.  But one boarded day I was reading my Tacoma’s owners manual.  It specified sway when towing over 2k lbs.  So for insurance problem avoidance in case of accident I installed 0 ne.  I figured $35 was cheap insurance.
    My exact sentiments.  I tow with a 2018 Highlander and it has the same requirements and Toyota has the same I’ve heard for the 4Runner.   Curious on all 3 vehicles that Toyota has the same requirements.  It is not likely to reflect science, but rather the sentiments of the product liability lawyers hired to protect the company.  I bought the Reese Friction Sway bar, but have not yet installed it.   We just got our 320 last month, so when Spring comes, I’ll try installing it or have the work hired out.  

My insurance agent said if the manufacturer says “required” and not “recommended” follow the rules to limit your liability exposure.  
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    Interesting. Our 2020 Tacoma also recommends a sway control device for trailers over 2,000 lbs. The dealer suggested we didn't need it but I requested they have one installed before we picked it up. They said okay. On pickup day the "tech" giving us the orientation told me a sway control bar could not be mounted on the 2021 T@B 400 we were purchasing. Something about the open channel frame and drilling holes would weaken it. I didn't believe him but time was short so we towed it 150 miles home without the recommended sway control. No sway problems but I'm curious if the friction sway bars you use require drilling any holes in the frame?
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    edited December 2020
    Interesting. Our 2020 Tacoma also recommends a sway control device for trailers over 2,000 lbs. The dealer suggested we didn't need it but I requested they have one installed before we picked it up. They said okay. On pickup day the "tech" giving us the orientation told me a sway control bar could not be mounted on the 2021 T@B 400 we were purchasing. Something about the open channel frame and drilling holes would weaken it. I didn't believe him but time was short so we towed it 150 miles home without the recommended sway control. No sway problems but I'm curious if the friction sway bars you use require drilling any holes in the frame?
    The Reese friction sway bar I anticipate mounting has a plate with six mounting bolts requiring drilling of six holes.  I imagine the plate itself would give sufficient strength to the C channel (I believe it’s called that) to negate the effects of the holes.  One could even put a plate on the other side of the channel but the bolts on the other side should add strength as well.  I can’t imagine this has been a major problem because many folks with TABs use friction sway bars.  TAB says “no” to weight distribution hitches, but not sway bars.  I hope someone with more experience can weigh in here.  
    Happy Holidays!
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin