Options

wheels falling off trailers

Do Tabs have shock absorbers?  This may be a consequence: wheels falling off trailers (rvbooks.com.au)  Great article with good tips.

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    You can get shock absorbers for the Dutchmen T@Bs with the Al-Ko frame, but the nuCamp T@Bs do not have shock absorbers.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @Rich1941,  Thank you for a very informative link to that article. "rattle guns" - impact wrenches are always used by tire shops and mechanics.  Good to know to check the lug bolts with a torque wench.

Thanks
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Much more difficult to feel a vibration or something not right on a trailer than a vehicle, by the time you notice anything, your trailer wheel might be passing you. Trailer is also kind of out of sight out of mind and maintenance can get ignored if you aren't intentional about it. Probably bigger factor than shocks, the torsion axles in newer Tabs are a form if spring and shock all wrapped inside the axle tube. They probably don't dampen bumps as much as a shock, but do have some dampening ability.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited November 2020
    Please take care NOT to follow the advice to use Loctite 290 thread locker on the wheel lugs. It is correctly described as an anaerobic thread locker..so designed to be applied to a tightened nut after assembly...it's wicking properties allow it to penetrate and fill the open cavities between thread root and crest.. Once applied it will harden to fill the  pitch making it difficult to remove when the wheel requires service. It is often necessary to use heat to release 290. 
    A properly torqued lug not will not loosen and release. Properly torqued means torqued to mfgr. spec. using a calibrated torque wrench on unlubricated threads. Lugs should be tightened in an alternating pattern and then rechecked (with a torque wrench) after 50 or 60 miles and again after another 100 or so.
    Shocks are not necessary if the wheels are properly tightened and if the bearings are correctly loaded and maintained. What the article does not say is that most wheels falling off (if they are due to lugs falling off) are due to the wheels being installed using a simple lug wrench or due to a bearing failure due to lack of maintenance. 
    Buy and use a torque wrench. Use the 290 on your glasses frames or carburetor screws.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Good tip about the glasses frames & carburetor screws, @tabiphile.  I never thought about using Loctite on those, but it would save a lot of time & trouble.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I found the glycol tank, but where do they hide the carburetor on the 320?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2020
    @DougH, the carburetor on the 2017 320 is under the vent cap on the roof.

It requires three pumps of lithium grease annually, unless you're using nicad batteries, in which case, you should replace them every 5 years.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    DougH said:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ChanW said:

It requires three pumps of lithium grease annually, unless you're using nicad batteries, in which case, you should replace them every 5 years.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    DougH said:

Are you using a fuel injector cleaner too?  😂 🦃
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Ah...glasses and carb screws are just the beginning. 290 is the ultimate weapon. It can be used for all kind amazing things including fixing porosity problems in castings (think leaky bronze tub drain). Everyone that fancies themselves as a backyard mechanic needs a bottle of 290....just keep it off of your lug nuts.
  • Options
    Michigan_Mike,
    Only in the black tank, for odors...  =)
    ChanW said:

Happy Thanksgiving!
    DougH said:

Are you using a fuel injector cleaner too?  😂 🦃

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yes! So it's LockTite 290 'Wicking' threadlocker!

I'm glad to know what they now call it! It's what I remember as LockTite "Seep and Lock"!

I've been trying to replace my previous tube since 1983...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya