Options

Quick converter question

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    edited May 2021
    NCNative said:
    I swapped out the converter when I got my new lithium batteries. 
    @NCNative - do you have the specs for the converter that is compatible with your lithium battery? And is the converter located on your tow vehicle or on the trailer itself?
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    TabeeTabee Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

lithium batteries typically get charged at a higher voltage than acid or agm batteries. For example my lithium battery like to be charged on 14.6 v as per manufacturers recommendation. So the converter in the TB is not set for this voltage it is lower. As a result you will need to change the converter or accept the fact that your converter will not be able to charge fully your lithium battery and relay on your solar. 

Regards
    Alan
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    @Mellow_Yellow Do you have the WFCO converter in your T@B? Mine was the WFCO 8735. WFCO finally came out with drop in, lithium compatible converters. I was able to swap out the 8735 with the 8735LiS, which has a lithium switch. Now my Battle Born lithium battery charges to 100% while plugged in (thus balancing the cells to keep the battery in good condition). Apache in Portland ordered and installed it for me.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Fabulous! thank you @dsfdogs. That's exactly what I needed. I also upgraded to a lithium battery and would like to be able to charge it fully while plugged in. Looks like it is a straight swap with the existing converter box, which is nice :)
    For sake of comparison, do you also turn off your battery when your trailer isn't in use? I don't have an on/off switch, so I just pull the "30" fuse to ensure no passive drain from the lithium battery. I was advised by my battery vendor that passive drain when not in use is especially bad.

2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    edited May 2021
    @Mellow_Yellow, yes, straight swap! I have a battery switch and turn it off when the trailer is not in use. I would have a switch installed if I were you. And yes on passive battery drain, not good. I watched this video (go to the 15:40 mark, although I'd highly recommend watching the whole thing several times). The CEO said not to let the battery passively drain down as the BMS can't properly shut it down. As he advises, I'll usually charge it up to 100%, then turn off, and over the winter, I would check it every month or so. It might have reached 13.1 after several months, so I charged it up again. Mine is parked in my garage, so very easy to manage.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5