Options

Modifying/Repairing broken cushion

While camping the other day, I had to get something out of the back underneath the adjustable headboards. To do that I lay one headboard down and put my knee on the middle bench (cushion) and try to get all the way down in the back storage areas. When I do this I notice that it puts a lot of torque on that cushion and this time heard a crunch sound like some wood cracked. Later that day, my wife was on it and it broke further. It was so broken it was hard to sleep on that night. After we returned home I took it apart staple-by-staple and man did they use some staples! The cushion is basically a light, wood frame with the thinest piece of birch plywood I've ever seen with foam laid over it wrapped in fabric. I'm sure they call it 1/4" birch plywood but 1/8th balsa wood is closer. That fabric, foam, and sliver of a piece of plywood is all that is supporting you when you drive your knee into that middle cushion. After disassembling it, I reinforced all of the corners and the crossbar with metal straps and screws and I purchased a nice piece of solid pine 1/2" thick. I would rather have a solid piece slightly thinner, but it is what Home Depot had. After screwing the new board to the frame and reassembling the cushion, it is strong as can be! Now I want to do the other side, but I'll wait and see if I crack that one. Those two middle cushions take a lot of extra torque when one is kneeling on it to fetch things below deck. I think those two benches deserve extra thickness on the support panel and I will mention that when I visit the factory in April. I feel very confident now when I am really bearing down on this bench.  

Comments