Options

Way cool propane fire pit.

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
edited February 2021 in Products and Accessories
Spent some time camping last weekend with a friend of mine, his wife and adorable pocket dogs. He had this really cool portable propane fire pit.  His Chevy diesel pickup and 65 foot long 5th wheel means he can carry the Smithsonian museum’s Dutch Oven exhibit in his back seat. While I was very impressed with the look and ambiance of his fire pit, the weight of same was a concern. Throwing caution to the winds, I bought it and am currently using it on a campout.  Whoa. Very, very impressed by the ease of setup, REAL look of the fire and adjustability of the flame height. This thing is so cool (hot?), that the weight and volume taken up pales in comparison to the enjoyment received from having it at the campsite. Outland 19” fire pit. Looking forward to the morning when I can fire this baby up instead of foraging for wood in my bathrobe and slippers. At the local convenience store. Go figure, some municipalities frown upon this.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Tabaz the minds image is causing me to gouge my own eyes out!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    A bathrobe and slippers are 95% more clothing than swim trunks.I would never forage for wood in swim trunks. That’s the nice thing about this fire pit - no police, handcuffs or defense attorney.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Picture of said fire pit?

I just purchased a propane portable fire bowl from Costco.  Haven’t hooked it up yet.  It uses a full size tank, not the little one pounders.  I was thinking of getting a long hose to run to the T@Bs tank, but I’m going to see if it’s a struggle to just disconnect and remove the tank and take it to the bowl.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    We also have the 19” Outland fire pit, a carryover from our TaG days. We love it. Adjustable flame, no firewood to haul or find, no smoke in your eyes, easy to start, and it made that morning cup of coffee so much nicer when we had out TaG. And a big plus, we could still use it when seasonal fire restrictions were in place for open campfires. We run it off of an 11 lb propane cylinder.  Well worth the space it takes up in our opinion. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    SimbionicSimbionic Member Posts: 23
    ....and we have the large canopy  (8.5' high, which cant have a wood fire within, of course). This looks like we could have very close, if not under the canopy, even in the rain. Have you seen another gas pit that looks any better?
    Simbionic
    Tab 400BD
    TV: 2013 Lexus GX460
  • Options
    Tampa - “outlandliving.com” is their website. Agree with others. So easy and fast to get a fire going in the morning AND have it under a canopy or awning (safely of course). Very happy with this purchase.
  • Options
    I’m sure you could have it inside an 8.5’ high
    canopy. A popular choice with Taggers is the Camco Little Red fire pit. It’s a bit smaller but more expensive and we like the look of the Outland bowl better. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    SimbionicSimbionic Member Posts: 23
    On my way online to purchase the Outland. Thanks all.
    Simbionic
    Tab 400BD
    TV: 2013 Lexus GX460
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    Love Your RV on YouTube did a demo/review of the Outland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GErX_9rIEIk
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Tabaz said:
    Tampa - “outlandliving.com” is their website. Agree with others. So easy and fast to get a fire going in the morning AND have it under a canopy or awning (safely of course). Very happy with this purchase.
    The one I just got from Costco is a lot like the Outland premium.  Only difference is mine is more of a flat black instead of glossy.  Tried it out today, took the propane tank out of the T@B and hooked it up.  Worked great.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Simbionic - these things leave some residue from the fire bricks. Highly recommend getting the carrying bag to keep your TV clean.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited February 2021
    Have the Outland. It's a great pit, a beast.

For longer trips I prefer the Little Red from Camco. 

Post edited due to inappropriate content. Moderator
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    I purchased a five pound propane tank to save space and weight. Outland specifies using a 20 pounder. Will see how the smaller one works.
  • Options
    LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    Wow, following this post with glee. I saw one of these last fall and bought it as a Christmas present. I have not yet used it with the T@B as I am trying to figure out the propane issue. Where do you carry an extra tank of propane? Good to hear that you can have it under the canopy and that close to the T@B. I did see a device that is like a splitter and thought I might put it on the T@Bs propane tank and connect the fire pit to that. Any thoughts. I don’t want to have to disconnect and take out the tank from the LP box on the front.
    Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV
  • Options
    Wow, following this post with glee. I saw one of these last fall and bought it as a Christmas present. I have not yet used it with the T@B as I am trying to figure out the propane issue. Where do you carry an extra tank of propane? Good to hear that you can have it under the canopy and that close to the T@B. I did see a device that is like a splitter and thought I might put it on the T@Bs propane tank and connect the fire pit to that. Any thoughts. I don’t want to have to disconnect and take out the tank from the LP box on the front.
    Amazon carries a 12 foot hose with a regulator built in, and a 20 foot extension hose with male/female connectors.

The firepit hose is crimped onto it's regulator so you can't unscrew it from there and add on a hose.  Looks like you can unscrew the hose from the valve at the pit control box then add on the extension hose.
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    The last thing I want to do is reignite the Norcold frig on propane after disconnecting it to run the firepit.  looked into installing a "Y" fitting, but decided against it because the firepit would have to be too close to the trailer.  Didn't know they make a 20' extension hose.  Will try the 5 lb. propane tank as well as the smaller 1 lb. tank to see how they work.  No way I want to lug around a second 20 lb. tank just for the firepit.  If the 5 lb. doesn't work, then I'll go with the 20' idea from Tampa.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    FYI, the 5lb tank should work fine but that pit is thirsty, especially if you have it above 50% throttle!

And if don't have one, get an adapter that allows you to refill the 1lb green cans from a 20lb tank. Saves $$$...saves the planet. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SP5BJP/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fabc_K5TMQ8KWGKQH6GRRFM45
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    AirBoss - Just ordered one to have on hand.  Know of anything similar that can be used to refill those expensive Thermacell bottles?
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    AirBoss - Just ordered one to have on hand.  Know of anything similar that can be used to refill those expensive Thermacell bottles?
    Google refill thermacell cartridges.  You'll find adapters and a youtube video
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Best way I know is:

Once empty use a cloth to protect the brass valve on top and use pliers to pull it out of the canister. Set it aside but don't loose it! Take a sheet metal or wood screw and screw it down into the plastic check valve inside the canister (3-4 turns is enough). Use pliers to pull the check valve out. Canister will pop a bit with remaining pressure. Discard. Take brass valve and reinsert it into canister ( should see three raised ridges on inserted end) by inverting the canister and pressing the valve back into canister. Should hear three snaps as those ridges lock into place. Use the proper adapter from a bottle of butane (many have a set of 3-5 adapters). Fill the canister. 

And yes...you're playing around with a flammable gas so, "Don't Do Nothin' Dumb!"
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    When I ordered my fire pit I did order a Y connector (just figured out that is what they are called when I saw the word in Tabaz’s post.) I met someone with a bigger rig this summer who had one of these fire pits and was truly impressed. He said he had some kind of quick connectors and a longer hose so I was hoping to replicate. Or figure out a way to have a second 20 pound tank which would be a nice back up for boondocking. I will await the results on this forum about using a 5 pound tank. I wondered about the little canister as well since I do have a small Coleman grill. 
  • Options
    Lisa - will be camping tonight and report how the smaller tanks worked out and their respective run times on different output levels.  Thanks AirBoss for the Termacell suggestion.
  • Options
    Tabaz-can’t wait to hear. I did purchase a 1/4” Y splitter quick connect on Amazon — adding a pic if I did it correctly DOZYANT 14 RV Propane Quick Connect Y Splitter Adapter for RV Trailer and Quick Connect Propane Hose Connect to Motorhome Tabletop Grill 2 Way LP Gas Adapter 14quot Quick Connect or Disconnect Kit
  • Options
    Update - 1lb. Tanks last 1/2 hour at 1/3 flame output. Flame gets weaker with time. Not an option. 
  • Options
    We’re pretty happy with our 11 lb tank. We can get maybe 4 evenings with a beer and short mornings with a cup of coffee (at fairly low flame). I like the smaller size to transport. For long trips it would be nice to have a 20 lb tank but most of the time the 11 lb tank works fine. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    RadcatRadcat Member Posts: 20
    Traps me. I just ordered the Outland Deluxe. Note that they are offering a 25% discount on this model. 
  • Options
    Think you'll find, as I did, a 5lb tank at 50% will last about 4hrs. +/-...neither is an option in my book. I carry twin tanks in the tongue box and have been known to carry an addtional 20lb'er.  
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Results for the 5 lb. tank = 2 hours 15 minutes at a setting of 2 0'Clock (approximately 1/3 of full flame).
  • Options
     Mine from memory....yours is very likely much, much closer to reality. 

Really think the spare 20lb tank for that pit is a must. Thus, I go with the Camco Little Red. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com