Options

Surge Protector for 2016 T@B 320 S

Can someone give advice (or suggestion) on what surge protector to purchase for my 2016 T@B 320 S? I will be using the trailer each year on long trips across country. I've only been out a few nights so far and have not purchased one, yet.

I'm also not understanding when to be concerned about a drop in the battery voltage. It usually starts at 13.2 when fully charged, and then drops to 12.3 or a little lower before I recharge it. Can I let the battery voltage go lower when boondocking? What is too low? and what problems might develop? FYI: I primarily choose propane to run my fridge and heat water when not on shore power.

Dan

2016 T@B 320-S, 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT
2016 T@B 320-S, 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited March 2021
    We have a Progressive Dynamics hardwired unit installed. I placed the display under the driver's side bench, near the shower door. We can see it from outside the trailer when setting up camp to verify a good connection. It is also hidden from view when the bed is set up (so the scrolling is less noticeable at night).

Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Below is a link to a post @Verna made with battery state of charge info. We try to keep our AGM battery above 50% discharge.

Battery and Solar Resources (vanillacommunity.com)

Hope this helps...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    I just bought a new two piece surge protector from Progressive Industries: the PSK-30. I haven't tried it yet since it is still snowy winter here where I live. What I liked about this design is that the tester and the actual surge protector are separate, so it should not invite unwanted attention from potential thieves. It seems like a more basic unit, but should do the trick if one camps in places where the wiring is up to date and up to code (like government parks). 
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo