Options

Only Battery Nerds Need Apply

A rather longish article about lithium batteries - did you know they are made using the same production lines/equipment as cassette recording tape? We've discussed using lithium batteries in T@Bs but they are super expensive. That may change, a new manufacturing process may drop the cost to 1/5th...
http://qz.com/433131/the-story-of-the-invention-that-could-revolutionize-batteries-and-maybe-american-manufacturing-as-well/

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Interesting stuff and a long read, but believe sometime down the road it is all going to change again and hopefully for the better.  I'd love to be independent of the grid and to do it within my economic means.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mike - What surprised me was that Sony just used their mag tape manufacturing machinery to produce lithium ion batteries without much/any changes.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I think anything is possible in today's technology laden world and imagine what we will see in the next 15-20 years or sooner?  Innovation will drive change and the ability to do it cheaper will up the ante and hopefully make it available to more people.  What's scary is that young people today are training for jobs that haven't even been developed yet!   :o
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Yep...you guy's need to check out "Tesla Powerwall". Watch the video. Amazing where we can go!
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC