Options

Simple DIY visor for door?

twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
I didn't order the T@B Visor XL, yet, and am hitting the road on Monday morning.  I'd like to have some sort of plan for awning/coverage if it rains.  Has anyone done a simple DIY with a tarp for protection over the door that they would share?
Beth
Minnesota
Practicing to be a wanderer
2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A 9' patio umbrella with a base and a small table with a hole for the umbrella.  Make sure the top of the umbrella has the flap so it doesn't turn inside out.  Yeah, it won't attach to the T@B, but it'll look nice.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna!  I have a patio umbrella I never use in the garage, still in the box!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2015
    I took advantage of the kedar rail once, putting a tarp in the slot and holding it in with something or other. Then I took two old tent poles to hold the corners out, using guy lines. Good for sun, but doubt it would have held up with rain - too flimsy.

It was mainly a test to see what might be possible.

There are suppliers that sell kedar rail parts - so you could conceivably make anything you want for that rail.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Until I bought a visor, I used the tarp as well. It passed the rain test in Oklahoma this Spring.  Do a search for Redneck Porch to see my setup.  I still have it in reserve.  I got the visor because it is a little quicker and easier to set up.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks, RZRBUG!  I remember seeing this last year, but forgot all about it.  I see you improved the set up by using the keder rail.  I'll definitely check it out.  Thanks again for the photos and detailed information.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    You're welcome, Beth.  The number of poles you will need to hold up the out edge will depend on how wide the tarp is.  I ended up using three.  You will need to figure out some kind of guy system to stabilize it.  The poles I used were painter's poles I got at Lowe's because they are sturdy, but any adjustable pole will do.  I enjoyed figuring out how to make the whole thing work.  Hope you do too and good luck.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map