Options

CPAP Power to Spare!

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
edited April 2021 in Products and Accessories
For those of you with CPAP units looking for power to spare I have found a great solution.   Renogy offers a lithium battery that will not only power up your CPAP unit but other devices such as iPhones, laptop units, etc.  These are available on Amazon and it has received great reviews.  I have been out 2 nights so far and still have an abundance of power.  One reviewer stated he’d been out 4 nights on one charge and felt he could go another night.  This charges via 120V AC or via USB on 12V DC.  This is a great battery and save energy in the trailer too.  Well worth the cost!  

Renogy 72000mAh 266Wh 12v Power Bank with 60W PD, CPAP Battery for Camping, High Capacity Large Camping Power Bank with USB-C DC Wireless Charging & Flashlight, CPAP Battery Backup Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791WDZTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KE6XVCR4WDSVCP74GY3Z

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    As an update, we were out for four nights last week and I used the battery an average of about 6.5 hrs per night without any issues and with power to spare.  I think there were three lights still showing on the battery power monitor and am confident I could have used it a fifth night without recharging the battery.  Can be charged either via 12V USB or 110V AC.  
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    Were you using the humidifier on the CPAP?
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    @Michigan_Mike Thanks for the info . DW has Resmed Aircurve10. Bought their battery pack last year (~$500) but had to return it as it wouldn’t hold a charge !! (Appeared it was older and not maintained in the warehouse) Was getting ready to research and you saved me time. Also thought about Goal Zero 500x with solar panel, more expensive and bulkier, but maybe more uses/flexibility? Any thoughts on that option appreciated.
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @mrdeepfryguy, do you have a 12V power port near your bed like my 2019? If so, couldn't you just plug one of these DC to DC power cords in to power the CPAP from your T@B's battery?

Amazon.com: Resmed 37297 Air10 DC-DC Converter: Industrial & Scientific

I have a friend that uses the Resmed. He bought one of those converters.  He attaches to a 12V portable power supply that we made (similar to a Goal Zero) so he could sleep better in his tent in the woods or when storms knock out power at home.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    @crabtab Yes we have the 12v plugs and the DC power cord adaptors you mention (thanks) and it works well when we have shore power. Was looking for best option when we Boondock. Seems like the frig draws a lot of amps and Battery drains fast. Looking for best performance/price option on dedicated CPAP power source. 
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Understood @mrdeepfryguy. I neglected to consider that the newer T@Bs have the all electric fridge. Going back to Bedrock now, to my house near Fred and Wilma...  :)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    @CrabTab Haha will meet you somewhere for a brontosaurus burger 
  • Options
    Were you using the humidifier on the CPAP?
    No, when I boondock I never use the humidifier as it consumes considerable energy.  I’ve never had any issues not using it.  
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I have a 2019 T@B 400 and also have the electric frig in the trailer.  I have found that the two way frig does consume a lot of energy and when you throw in the pump, lights, TV, etc. and add in the CPAP plugged into the cigarette lighter styled 12V DC plug there is a good drain on the batteries.  I was looking for an alternative to power consumption and have taken measures to conserve energy as follows:  We use the solar powered Luci lights,  we turn off the electric frig at bed time and normally only store drinks and coffee creamer in the frig and keep perishables in our ARB frig in the back of the truck, I unplug the ARB too army bedtime and any major power consumption is undertaken during daytime hours.  The rooftop 190W solar panel does a nice job keeping things charged up and will say that this last time out was less stressful and the lithium CPAP battery performed beyond my expectations.  Very pleased and this battery can be used to charge other devices as well. 

I’ll take one of them brontasaurus burgers too with cheese and green chilies and an iced tea to go!  🦖🦕
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike Thanks, newbie to RVing and NuCamp and slowly learning (sometimes the hard way) on battery management. Got 105 watt solar panel , the shutoff switch on jensen tv, been reading about amp usage per source as reported by other members. Like a lot of your ideas and will work into them. One question, is the Renogy battery pack FAA compliant for use on planes ? (however I bought the trailer to avoid air travel ! ) Have invested a lot of cash over last 9 months into camper and accessories, trying to be real smart about future spend. Like the price on the Renogy.
  • Options
    I don’t know about the FAA compliance on this battery but believe their limit is 100W or less so it’s probably not allowed on aircraft.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    This is an excerpt from the Amazon ad:

Features & details

• 【2021 New 60W PD Version】This well-rececived large power bank is now back with 2 high-speed USB-C PD ports to refresh your portable charging experience. USB-C (1) port can transfer up to 60W power to your laptop while USB-C (2) port can keep your phones charged at a maximum speed of Max. 27W on the go.
    • 【Massive Capacity】Packed with a enormous capacity of 72000mAh/266Wh as well as battery management system, this portable charger can pump out enough power to multiple devices simultaneously and securely at a high power conversion rate up to 90%. (Note: not TSA-approved, not allowed on a plane)…..”
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options