Options

CS S 12V fridge

For those that have the CS models. Do you use the refridgerator?  I don't see any venting and noticed it gets the kitchen area very warm if left closed up all day. This in turn causes the fridge to run more and thus the cycle escalates. I notice it runs far more when the hatch is closed. Has anyone else noticed this?  I'm thinking of how to vent the heat. Thoughts?  Thanks in advance!
Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Norm, I thought there was a vent in the floor to exhaust the hot air. This is just what I heard, I have no personal knowledge of it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I know the 3 way used in the S has a floor vent and fan as well as a side vent.  The CS however is mounted in a cupboard and shining a light in there there is no hole for a vent.  The hot air is being blown out the front.  The front vent is what is talked about in the fridge manual and there is no mention of other vents.  So my guess is you are "supposed" to leave the hatch open when using the fridge.  Either that or it is really a non issue and the extra heat doesn't do any real damage.  If I am driving or on shore power I don't worry much about it. If I have sun and good solar feed I also don't worry.  However if in heavy shade or clouds running the fridge with the clamshell closed draws about 4.5 amps every hour.  That adds up fast.

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Due to all the posts complaining about the fridge in both the S and CS S models, I opted not to have the fridge installed.  I use my 5 Day Coleman Extreme cooler with a block of ice and 2# of dry ice.  Down the line, I may go for the ARB.  In the meantime, I have more storage space.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited July 2015
    In spite of the heat problem - which the factory is now resolving free - I'm glad I got the fridge ... Small problems always sound worse than they actually are a lot of times.
    May get an Orb at some point but personally don't want to have to deal with ice and a cooler ever again - unless I have guests with a lot of beer ;-)

Link to Verna's factory message - http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1288/trying-out-the-3-way-fridge-2015-probs#latest
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I emailed my dealer and asked if he'd contact the factory about installing that solution before it leaves there for AZ.

PXL - you may want to pick up a cooler if we ever meet --- I'll definitely bring the beer (not a wine person but love an ice cold brewskie) :)
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Only need a couple cubes for my Jameson or GlenLevit ;-)
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2015
    Ha ha Mickietucs -- I think we have the same dealer (Tom's Camperland here in PHX) and I emailed him about retrofitting our 2015. They're great people so I have high hopes our appliance wars will be done.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    PXLated said:
    In spite of the heat problem - which the factory is now resolving free - I'm glad I got the fridge ... Small problems always sound worse than they actually are a lot of times.
    May get an Orb at some point but personally don't want to have to deal with ice and a cooler ever again - unless I have guests with a lot of beer ;-)

Link to Verna's factory message - http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1288/trying-out-the-3-way-fridge-2015-probs#latest
    We have been watching both threads about the fridge issues and are waiting to order our T@B until this issue seems to be resolved as we will be ordering CS-S with outside fridge and special ordering inside counter/sink/fridge/cabinets like the S model so we are doubly concerned.  We do NOT want to go back to cooler with ice so we want 2 little fridges. :blush: 

• Options
    Order away. The CSS issue is not with the trailer. I am a watt watcher and am always looking to reduce power consumption. The fridge works fine. Don't let my comments stop you. 

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I just brought our CS home to prep for another trip.  After seeing so many comments about refrigerators, I decided to check ours.  I started with ambient temperature of 90 degrees with T@B sitting there all day.  I turned the refrigerator on to a setting of 4, connected to shore power. The Temperature outside is now 75 degrees and inside the empty refrigerator is 34 degrees (references say ideal is between 35 and 38 degrees).  After opening the back hatch, I looked for noticeable warmth.  I think the top of the upper counter next to the stove was barely warmer than other surfaces, but so little I would not have noticed without careful examination.  Nothing, including the general kitchen area, seemed warmer than I would have noticed, even compared to nothing running.  My only concern is battery use when not on shore power.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I emailed my dealer and asked if he'd contact the factory about installing that solution before it leaves there for AZ.

PXL - you may want to pick up a cooler if we ever meet --- I'll definitely bring the beer (not a wine person but love an ice cold brewskie) :)
    Hey there! Let us know what they say. I am hoping that all 2016 models in the pipeline (so says my invoice) will have these new tweaks. :)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Gil.  Thanks!  It was 107 when I noticed the fridge was running all the time.  Refrigerators and I run on opposite temperature cycles they run when it's hot and I just sit there and melt  :) When it is cold out I tend to run around and they just sit.  Go figure.  Anyway I don't think there is an issue with any design on the CSS i believe it was just TOO DANG HOT outside for anything so the fridge ran a lot.  It did  still keep everything very cold witch by design.  I was glad the solar kept up with the battery drain.

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709

Hey there! Let us know what they say. I am hoping that all 2016 models in the pipeline (so says my invoice) will have these new tweaks. :)
    Sure thing -- I haven't heard back from him yet but will let you know when I do. Cross my fingers. If it's by chance left the factory already I'll ask if they can send him the part and have him do the change.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Ha ha Mickietucs -- I think we have the same dealer (Tom's Camperland here in PHX) and I emailed him about retrofitting our 2015. They're great people so I have high hopes our appliance wars will be done.

Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Bgualtieri: I have the same problem with my 2015 fridge and got it 3 months ago from Toms. Plz let me know what to Toms says they can do to correct. Thx. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    will do, but haven't heard yet. I emailed Allen Greeley (our sales guy) yesterday.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Although, I have a Dutchmen, the 12V fridge in mine runs like a champ and keeps things cold. As a matter of fact, it could almost be a freezer if I turn it up all the way.

I haven't noticed if the inside of the kitchen is hot when it's running cause when it's closed, can't tell inside, and when it's open, of course you are outside.

I'm not a boondocker, so don't worry about power consumption.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230

ice and a cooler ever again - unless I have guests with a lot of beer ;-)

Ya gotta have a cooler for the beer! The fridge ain't big enough!!!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Cbarnhill - I spoke with the guy from Tom's Camperland here in PHX, and he said they were getting in touch with Pleasant Valley to see what they were supposed to do, and to get the parts, and he would get back to me. That was Wednesday, I think.
  • Options
    Beer drinkers need a lot of space - A good single malt and some ice (or not) and I'm set. But, about the only time I settle in with one anymore is when my brothers and I meet up.
  • Options
    dragonfacedragonface Member Posts: 1
    Why can't they put the three way fridge in the clamshell?  There's a propane line for the stove already installed. Or is the only other option I have is to run the 12volt with the battery charger plugged into 110?  Or dry ice and blocks?