Options

My T@b 400 Solar Install

Finally installed my Renogy 200W flexible solar kit, with Victron MPPT controller.  Thanks to those that posted their installations or gave me pictures of how the original 400 factory panel wires penetrated the roof.  Also thanks to those that described how to revise the Victron BMV 712 battery monitor settings when solar is added.  Only took about five hours, though having the closet version of the 400 made it pretty easy to run the wires to the battery area.

Rich
2019 T@b 400
2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
Bellingham WA

Comments

• Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    How are your panels mounted? Tape? Sealant? I've had two panels come off now and I'm not sure about the first one since I believe it was removed during a break-in, but I "think" the second time it wasn't mounted properly and the wind might have grabbed it, don't know. Mine was the same panel as yours but since there were already screw holes from the original lost panel, it was both taped and screwed on.
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    For that Renogy 200W flexible panel, Renogy says that just using sealant or tape should be fine. Other owners on this forum with the 100W flexible panels have also just used VHB tape.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    @Horigan I installed the same panel in that same location on my Tab 400, but I also installed a second Renogy 200W flexible panel on the front of the trailer above the front viewing window as far up on the roof as I could place it. There's more curvature on that part of the roof, but the flexible panel fits there just fine. I wired the two panels in parallel since my MPPT controller can't handle the total potential voltage in series.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    My 200W kit was actually two 100W panels.  I installed one in front and one behind the fans.  To mount the flexible panels I just used 3M 1/2" wide VHB tape.  Makes sure to clean the surfaces very well with alcohol to ensure a good bond.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA