2021 Tab 400 - tongue weight update

TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
edited May 2021 in Trailer & Towing
I wanted to briefly update on my latest measurements of the tongue weight on our new 2021 Tab 400 (non Boondock but with factory solar and inverter added) since I read and experienced a lot of anxiety that this would be too much for my TV (a 2014 Q5 with 4400lb/440lb tongue towing limits).  The numbers are in and it's looking really good.  Dry weight with just propane and no gear came in at 320lbs, whereas with a full tank of water, propane, and a trailer fill of food we are now at 280lbs (less because the weight is shifted back to the rear of the trailer).  This means I'll also be able to cart a second propane tank with no issues.  Hope this helps some folks out there!

Comments

• manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    That’s great news. Never would’ve thought about the full tanks decreasing the hitch weight but it makes sense. I’ve got a tacoma which means a pretty limited payload so this is good to know moving forward. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • geoBgeoB Member Posts: 67
    TomCanada - Off topic, but... Our TV is a 2018 SQ5, so I was very interested in your finding. Rather than a spare propane tank I'm adding a 5 gal. jug of gas - our estimated range of travel when towing is 200 miles, plus or minus.

2018 Audi SQ5 + 2021 T@B 400 BD replaces '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular (same mpg with half the range)
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    FWIW I don't have exact weights but our 2021 400 gets a little squirrelly with a full fresh water tank if we don't add weight forward of the axle. We've only taken two trips so far but a tub full of firewood sitting in the doorway worked well on trip 2 and we felt much less sway. Next trip we'll try an empty fresh tank and see how well it behaves. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • GliddenwoodsGliddenwoods Member Posts: 43
    Scale model & brand? Thanks,
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock
  • rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    edited May 2021
    Here’s my 2021 400BD tongue weight.  

This scale is pricy but is easy to use.

Photo resized. @rrcbov - please remember to resize photos before posting.   Moderator 

2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    Scale model & brand? Thanks,
     Sherline SPI-LM-1000
    rhyno said:
    FWIW I don't have exact weights but our 2021 400 gets a little squirrelly with a full fresh water tank if we don't add weight forward of the axle. We've only taken two trips so far but a tub full of firewood sitting in the doorway worked well on trip 2 and we felt much less sway. Next trip we'll try an empty fresh tank and see how well it behaves. 
    I noticed today that especially over bumpier roads at low speeds (say under 40mph) I feel a lot of movement at the hitch - not sure if that's "sway" as the trailer looks pretty stable in the rear/side mirrors but maybe the water load is making a difference?  I also measured today that my front of TT is about 2 inches higher than the back (possibly because my TV isn't loaded up as much as previous trips and therefore not sagging as much).  I have an adjustable hitch with 1.5" steps so I lowered it one notch and will see if that helps next time. I also plan on putting my second propane tank in the tub to weight down the front more.  

How do most of you experience "sway"?  I don't have any issues at highway speeds and everything is nice and smooth even in high winds. Where I feel a lot of bumping around is over less smooth city roads.  Feels like the trailer likes to bounce up, down, and dance a bit of a jig - though again it's just by feel and not obvious movement back there as far as I can tell.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The bumping could be because your hitch is not tight in the receiver. When you are unhitched, try moving your hitch in the tow vehicles receiver. If you can wiggle it, so can your T@B. 

The solution is to purchase a hitch tightener, install it and the bumping should go away. 

Here’s an example from Amazon, or check yourself favorite retailer:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07B9J7PB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_QDTYWPB7WK5K2RJD386D

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna said:
    The bumping could be because your hitch is not tight in the receiver. When you are unhitched, try moving your hitch in the tow vehicles receiver. If you can wiggle it, so can your T@B. 

The solution is to purchase a hitch tightener, install it and the bumping should go away. 

Here’s an example from Amazon, or check yourself favorite retailer:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07B9J7PB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_QDTYWPB7WK5K2RJD386D

Thanks Verna!  I actually already installed a tightener on the adjustable riser portion of the hitch and it eliminated this big bump I had when coming to a complete stop. But I didn't realize the slack in the hitch receiver itself could cause this much trouble.  I hesitate to add another step to the setup process (I don't like leaving the hitch attached because I can't use my backup proximity beeper) but maybe I should just bite the bullet and accept it's another step I need to include during setup / teardown..
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TomCanada, look further down on Amazon’s hitch tightner’s list. There is a “no tools needed” one that I’m interested in. Of course it costs more…$23 and change, but the no tools needed will make me remove it and my hitch quicker rather than leaving it in. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”