Options

Fantastic Fan Upgrade vs. Maxx Fan Replacement

We've only had our 2021 400 BD for less than a week and we're already tired of the loud Fantastic fan that is preinstalled. I keep going back and forth on if we should do the easy thing (fantastic fan "guts" upgrade that a lot of you do) or the hard thing (Maxx Fan replacement).

Aside from the ability to run the Maxx Fan in the rain, it appears the fans have the same basic feature set, correct? For those with the Maxx Fan, do you find yourself running the fan much when it's raining? I'd rather do it right the first time so I'm tapping the community to see what their thoughts are.
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I did the upgrade, because I already has a Maxx fan type cover/hood over the outside of the fan, which allows use in rain, etc.  The upgrade was easy, and no roof access was required.  If I did not already have the fan hood, I would have seriously considered changing out to a Maxx Fan replacement.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I did the upgrade and added the aeroflo vent cover, which allows me to leave the vent open on the road and in the rain. I think the whole thing cost me about $60.  I'm happy with it. I hate throwing away perfectly useful things. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    manyman, if you decide to upgrade to a Maxx Fan, save your Fanastic Fan to use in the wash room when that fan fails.  Several TaBers  who made the switch, did this, or just replaced the washroom fan before it failed.
    cheers
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    I upgraded to the Maxx fan with the cover that raises/lowers. I like the sleek design and needed low profile for trailer to fit in the garage. I run the fan almost 24/7 regardless of weather. With the Maxx, the lid can be closed and the fan will still operate similar to a ceiling fan-I love the airflow. I like running it at night on lowest setting, which is very quiet, windows in cracked mode to draw in air. I bought mine on sale at Camping World and paid for install, so while cost was several hundred dollars, well worth the upgrade for me.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    newteardropownersnewteardropowners Member Posts: 15
    Just did the upgrade from FantasticFan to MaxxAir 4500 (10 speed with remote}, only took about 15 minutes to remove old fan, maybe an hour to install new fan. Only two wires, easy upgrade. You have to do it from the side, you can't get on the roof, it has 50# weight limit. The difference is amazing. Best price for 4500 fan was at CampingWorld.
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    Denny16 said:
    manyman, if you decide to upgrade to a Maxx Fan, save your Fanastic Fan to use in the wash room when that fan fails.  Several TaBers  who made the switch, did this, or just replaced the washroom fan before it failed.
    cheers
    That was my initial plan but our 400 came with this:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/MaxxAir-00-03810B-MaxxFan-Dome-Roof-Vent-With-LEDs-p/14-9982.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ6EvrKdzrurDe9Qaag7H1X-ONl4ZCXBCNR9rkDyxJsNjIdSTwB70L4aArjWEALw_wcB

Nice upgrade from the cheap fan they normally  use but it also means a round, small opening that would need to be cut larger.

I'm leaning towards the Fantastic upgrade just for the ease of install. I like the idea of being able to turn the fan on in rainstorms but I'm not sure how often that would happen and if ventilation would be needed. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    dsfdogs said:
    I upgraded to the Maxx fan with the cover that raises/lowers. I like the sleek design and needed low profile for trailer to fit in the garage. I run the fan almost 24/7 regardless of weather. With the Maxx, the lid can be closed and the fan will still operate similar to a ceiling fan-I love the airflow. I like running it at night on lowest setting, which is very quiet, windows in cracked mode to draw in air. I bought mine on sale at Camping World and paid for install, so while cost was several hundred dollars, well worth the upgrade for me.
    I like the low profile look of this vs. adding a cover over the existing fan. Do you use it much in the rain?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I've got a Maxx fan on my new camper... versus an added vent cover on my previous T@B.  The T@B cover had downward facing vents in the back so I could leave the vent open all the time in any kind of rain.

In contrast the Maxx fan on the new unit is not a rain sensing or low profile vent cover. Just a pretty big vent permanent vent cover. But without the louvered rear cover.  So the other day a squall line of rain and wind came in from that direction... and J ended up with a big puddle in the trailer.

So either get a rain sensing vent that auto-closes, or get a vent cover that has plastic on the rear facing side too.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @manyman297 yes, I use the Maxxfan in the rain. I'm in Oregon, we get rain! I run it almost 24/7 in any weather. I may have gotten lucky with the original Fantastic Fan, but I ran it too in the rain and never had any issues with rain coming in. I got the Maxx for the 10 speeds, especially the lower speeds, the quiet fan/motor, the lower amperage, and lastly the cover.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have done both the FF upgrade on my 2015 with the FF vent cover and the Max Air upgrade (7500) on my T@b. They are similar, but love the low profile look of the Max Air fan. I also like that you can run the Max Air fan like a ceiling fan without opening a window or door.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CJaxCJax Member Posts: 62
    @manyman297 I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that the MAXX cover blocks some of the solar panel on the 2021 T@B 400... you might want to verify.

Cheers,

2021 T@B 400 Boondock 'Valhalla'
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V6
    veni, vidi, bibi capulus
  • Options
    CJax said:
    @manyman297 I thought I had read somewhere on this forum that the MAXX cover blocks some of the solar panel on the 2021 T@B 400... you might want to verify.

Cheers,

I read that as well but I wasn’t sure if it was referring to the 320 or 400. I’m now leaning toward the maxx fan...but having had installed a maxx fan in our previous pop up, I’m dreading the sealant removal.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @Denny16 Does the fantastic fan upgrade include the fan motor and when installed does the constant " growling " of the motor go away? I have the cowl on top and the speed control upgrade so dont care about rain sensor lid. I just want it to be quiet!!!! Keeps me awake on anything but the slowest rotation. What a noisy fan to fit in the main part of the camper. The bathroom fan is much quieter.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @Tundra57 The Fanastic fan upgrade does not change or include the motor, it replaces the controls and fan circuits, inside bezel, everything except the top lid and motor.  It also includes the lift bar (which you do not need to use, the original one works).    At the three lower speeds, the fan is very quiet, and not noticeable when running.  We do not hear any growling noise.  
    cheers

• Options
    @Denny16 Then my motor must be bad then. Even before the pwm speed mod it was noisy like a growling noise at anything above slow speed.
    Maybe im just sensitive to that frequency. I put the three speed resistor fan switch on the bathroom fan and it works great, the only sound at any speed is the noise generated by the blades and air movement on the bathroom fan. Maybe ill buy a fan motor and run it to see if its quieter.
  • Options
    Turndra57, you might be able to get a new motor under warranty?
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16 Warranty is way over. 2 years plus. I have seen replacements on ebay. You have the fantastic fan - is it quiet except for the blade noise?
  • Options
    Yes, the fan spinning up is louder than the motor.
    cheers
  • Options
    @Denny16 thanks. Ill order the fan motor.
  • Options
    Good luck…
    cheers
  • Options
    CJaxCJax Member Posts: 62
    I will be doing the FF upgrade kit plus cover... the question then becomes, which cover is "best"... the FF cover, the Maxx cover, the Camco cover, or other? Which has the best combination of functionality and ease of installation? Price differences matter less to me within reason, just want best airflow, least rain ingress, and minimal mod to T@B.

Cheers,
    C
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock 'Valhalla'
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V6
    veni, vidi, bibi capulus
  • Options
    @Denny16 and @CJax The replacement dometic fan came. It seemed still noisy on the bench. The motor is deeper.
    It fitted easily. It is a lot quieter and shifts nore air at full speed than the old one. At the same speed where the old one was making noise this one is quiet. Its still noisy at higher speeds but that is covered by the air tush noise anyway.
    So my combination of the fantastic manual fan, the dc variable speed drive mod and the top cover I am happy with it finally. Its quiet for night use and can be fully open in the rain snow or wind.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Marceline said:
    I did the upgrade and added the aeroflo vent cover, which allows me to leave the vent open on the road and in the rain. I think the whole thing cost me about $60.  I'm happy with it. I hate throwing away perfectly useful things. 
    How did the cover attach? The Dometic ones either attach by removing screws in the roof or attach to the 4 loops.  My FF is a clamp on model so neither of those will work.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    @Tampakayaker I have a camco aeroflo. It mounts by screwing rt angle brackets into the side of the short square "tube" outside of the fantastic fan which supports the hinge lid of the fantastic fan.
    Then the aeroflo goes over the top so the fantastic fan lid opens inside. The aeroflo has side vents so it cant rain in.

There is an installation pdf you can look at to see what i mean. Had it 3 years no problems.

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Tundra57 said:
    @Tampakayaker I have a camco aeroflo. It mounts by screwing rt angle brackets into the side of the short square "tube" outside of the fantastic fan which supports the hinge lid of the fantastic fan.
    Then the aeroflo goes over the top so the fantastic fan lid opens inside. The aeroflo has side vents so it cant rain in.

There is an installation pdf you can look at to see what i mean. Had it 3 years no problems.

Thanks, I’ll pull it up later when I get to my pc with a bigger screen
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Tundra57 said:

Glad you got it sorted finally.  Enjoy…
    cheers
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    MaxxFan remains on my wish list three years into my T@B life.
    In first few months of ownership I did the PWM 10 Bucks Fan Speed Controller modification so can control speed.

Still want the MaXXFan for it's cool design and built in cover.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    We had the fantastic fan with the separate hood cover for our T@g...when we upsized the Maxxair Fan was one of the upgrades we added to the trailer from NuCamp...love the sleek design of it and that we can run the fan while the hood vent is closed...hubby loves the remote!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    DollarshortDollarshort Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone replaced the stock ceiling fan and hatch cover with an upgrade.  My stock one leaks, but not all the time. There have been times in heavy rain no leaks and sometimes light rain it leaks. I checked the caulking and it looks like it has a good seal. Not sure what the problem is.
  • Options
    Check to see that the top cover is down all the way round when it is closed, and no gaps are apparent.  Water can splash up to a gap,on the cover if it is not closing tight.
     Cheers