Options

Installing a MaxxFan on a 400 Roof

For those of you who have DIY-installed a MaxxFan on the roof of your 400, how the heck did you reach the interior side of the fan opening to remove the OEM fan or install the MaxxFan?  That’s the only thing stopping me from ordering a MaxxFan. . . . .

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    cameroncameron Member Posts: 12
    I use Little Giant ladders on the sides of the camper, and just reach over the top of the camper as necessary. The Little Giants are nice because you can put the side facing the camper up to about 90 degrees, so you are basically standing facing (and leaning on) the camper. If you have to "get onto the roof", you can't crawl onto it or step on it, but if necessary, you use something to spread your weight so it's not putting pressure on any one point. Theoretically, you could even put a working platform / plank across, supported by one ladder on each side, but that seems overkill.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Thanks, @Verna ; I have seen that approach, but the shallow angle of the ladder and the bearing weight on those plastic edge covers has me a bit concerned.

@cameron do you have a 400?  The 400 is 10 inches wider than a 320, and the vent location is offset from center, unlike the 320.  I can easily reach the door side of the vent, but it would be impossible to reach over the vent or reach it from the street side.  I do have the Little Giant-type of ladder, but only one of them.
  • Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    TNOutback, I did the switch on my 2018 400. Most of the work can be done from inside the camper using a small step ladder and working through the opening after you remove the old fan. If I have time tomorrow, I'll write up all the steps I took.
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY