Options

Place for lithium batteries and cover

Can someone advise how to place lithium batteries in box and battery cover needs?? I do not plan to use when less than 31F, but this sometimes happens  in summer in mountains. 

we have purchased two lithium batteries for our 2021 (july) tab 320 trailer because the factory one will only run refrigerator for 2 days, nothing else was used, no lights, no hot water nothing, weather was wonderful on pnw coast but of course cloudy! 

Also bought generator, convert will install later, people are scheduling into october more $$$$$
 My husband now calling trailer jeep set up “the land yacht rig”

still waiting for info on dinette cushions :| i am going to marine cushion place tomorrow and I anticipate  another $$$ expense to have them made!

i wish i had read this forum, lots great information i could have used prior to purchasing, because precious hiking, canoe, kayak, relaxing time is being wasted trying to make trailer work for us and we are backpackers, that is not that picky, just a  bit on the ancient side of life!

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    What are you going to monitor these batteries with?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    @Kiosk - It's not clear from your post what you mean by "how to place lithium batteries in box and battery cover needs." Li batteries can really be put anywhere there is enough space, and in any position. You don't strictly need a battery box as there is no acid that can leak and oxidize the metal parts that are in the area.
    Your 320 probably came with a low capacity flooded-cell (lead-acid) battery already in a case in the front tub. You can remove it, and there should be room for two Li batteries to fit. You can orient them however you need: side-by-side lengthwise or vertically; stacked on each other, etc. You of course need to connect them in parallel, and you will also need to fasten down the new batteries and to cover the positive terminals. Any auto parts store will have the cable, battery straps/clamps and terminal covers that will be suitable.
    You don't mention if your 320 has solar but if if if does, and you have the stock Victron 75-10 controller, you will need to get one with more capacity for the two Li batteries (which are presumably each 100 amp hour.) You may also need a DC:DC charger to fully charge two lithium batteries with your tow vehicle's charging system.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    KioskKiosk Member Posts: 32
    I passed info to my husband and he found very useful, then he had another conversation with battleground tech services and
    batteries etc on order.  Thanks for your help
    ps. They are currently on sale
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    What are you going to monitor these batteries with?

This is a good question for you to consider @Kiosk. While a permanent monitoring system like the Victron Smart Shunt is a great idea, you can do things the old-fashioned way with a very small investment.
    If you don't already have a Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM), you can pick up a perfectly serviceable one from places like Harbor Freight for under $5. A small investment that can big dividends.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    KioskKiosk Member Posts: 32
    thanks! Will tell my cutie!