Battle Born vs Chins Lithium Battery?

After watching Jenny Grover's video, I decided to get a Battle Born rather than a Lyons battery for my 2021 Tab 400 since I'll be doing some cold weather camping . . . But I've just come across a positive review for the much more economical Chins battery. I was hoping somebody might have some experience with them???

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,853
    If Will Prowse endorses it....do it.  He practically has me convinced to buy a battery pack and put one together myself!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • dwrdwr Member Posts: 6
    I thought I might try a 300 amp Chins battery instead of two 200 amp batteries. I imagine that if I need more power I can buy another battery later.

However, I'm worried that at 12.99"x9.44"x8.58", the Chin won't fit in the space where my two AGMs reside.  It seems just a little too large.
  • Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 507
    edited September 2021
    Note that the battery like many other cheaper ones does not have low temperature charging protection (Will actually makes that an instant fail in the video). At first it doesn't sound like a big problem but depending on where you live/camp that might be a non-starter. Where I live it's not unheard of to have sub-freezing temps in the mornings even in August or September, and that's not even up in the mountains. Think solar starting to charge when the sun comes up or you get on the road early and you damage the cells. 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2021
    @Grumpy_G I see that now in the Chins video about the temp protection.  Would insulating the battery (somehow, or providing some source of warmth) help protect the charging?  Or a proper solar controller with this type of cold weather charging protection built in?   I live in a SoCal, but sometimes get out to colder temps where this "might" become a factor. Prowse reviews this battery favorably, and now that I can get almost as much power for the price of two AGM's I've been looking at, it seems like a good deal.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 66
    I was going to get Lion Energy (on sale for $1400 for a pair at Costco through 9-12) and stuff them into the electrical bay under the driver's side cushion on my 320. But I measured and it looks like a tight fit at best, especially if I also need to get a DC-DC charger in there plus a smart shunt. So I am going to have two Battleborn heated 100AH batteries installed in the outside tub, and mount the charger and shunt in there. That seems easier and will cost a lot less for installation. So basically I HAVE to get the heated Battleborns because they'll be outside and I camp in Colorado at 9,000+ feet, where it dips below freezing sometimes even in the summer, and I also don't want any issues with my TV charging it if I decide to take a road trip in December and take the camper, and it's below freezing out. 

There's a sale on the Battleborn website offering two of the heated 12V batteries for $1798. It's still stupid expensive but I'm going to order them tomorrow.