Options

LED resistor needed?

I have a 2021 T@B 400 BOONDOCK that I tow with my 2017 Audi Q5 with aftermarket tow package. The 7 pin has power but the T@B turn signals are not working. It was suggested by the tow installation technician it might need an LED resistor since camper safety lights are all LED. 
As background I will share that I towed it over 5 nights to Florida in January when i first got it without any issue. Then after spending winter in Floruda with it parked for 3 months I towed it on trip to Texas and on 4th day of trip there was no power going to 7 pin. Several technicians evaluated it and the only solution was to replace the ZCI interface. This failed to correct the problem so I left my trailer in Louisiana until a friend in Texas with a truck that had integrated tow package could tow it back to PA for me which he did without encountering any issue with the safety lights. When I got home the tech who installed the hitch package found that the ZCI replacement had been  installed incorrectly in Louisiana.  He installed it correctly and the 7 pin had power. (As a side note I returned the original ZCI SINCE it was under warranty and the manufacturer evaluated and found it was not defective so probably had not required replacement.) So i tried plugging my camper into the 7 pin last week in prep for an upcoming trip and all the camper lights worked. Yesterday I tried it again and only the brake lights worked. Thinking maybe the pins for the directional lights were dirty or bent I had the hitch guys check it again and the 7 pin is fine. Hence the suggestion for the LED resistor.
Does this situation seem familiar to anyone? If a resistor would correct this why was my friend able to tow it without issue without a resistor? Why are only the turn signals affected though I fear when I get to camground today to check again none of the lights will work. I am supposed to leave for a trip next week and lack confidence that I will not encounter an issue even if a resistor is installed. I have a concern that the real issue is that Audi has complicated electronics and I will continues to have issues with the aftermarket tow package. I am not ready to buy a new vehicle or sell my camper but may have an incompatible  situation. So back to the opening question. Do I need an LED resistor? Will that fix the recurring issue with camper safety lights? Thanks for reading this tale and any experience or advice you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    ZCI's get mixed reviews on how well they function.
    ZCI == zero contact interface.  Are connected to the TV battery and use some type of sensing technology to monitor the TV stop/turn lights, ZCI then sends voltage to 7-pin.

If my TV; I would research brand of ZCI installed (is it LED lamp approved).
    Would also consider a different brand ZCI.   And yet again have the entire installation detail checked for correctness including good wire connections (continuity).

Good luck,  Hope to hear about a positive outcome in near future.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    JerseyGirl13JerseyGirl13 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you very much! I will check with tech who did installation about alternative ZCI.  
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 448
    AFAIK the Q5 has LED tail lights and I suspect the ZCI does not get triggered reliably because of the comparably low current draw of LED lights. I assume the resistors they are talking about go in the tow vehicle to increase current draw. It probably works but is a bit of a hack in my world. There are similar products that protect the vehicle electronics but physically tap into the wires to sense the light status.