Options

Cape Hatteras in November; Recommendations?

We plan to be in the Cape Hatteras area in mid-November and would appreciate any advice and/or recommendations you may have. We are experienced campers with a TAB 400 BD Lite from the shores of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin so Cape Hatteras in November will be warm to us. Recommended sites, activities and campground will be most appreciated. Thanks.
2019 TAB 400 Boondock

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited September 2021
    Make your reservations NOW. November is peak surfcasting/fishing season on the Outer Banks. Here is a link to the National Park Service camping in the Cape Hatteras area. Only about 45-50 of the sites have water and electricity hookups (if needed).

Campgrounds - Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    edited October 2021
    We visited the outer banks September of 2020. I  did what I thought was due diligence in researching weather patterns, wind, surf and tourist flow, but did not realize we needed to calculate in the phases of the moon and related high tides. On arrival to the islands, the only road in was closed over 6 hrs while the highway dept cleared over 30 ft high dunes of sand and 20 ft of water pushed onto the highway by the full moon high tide. We have a 2500hd truck with 2" of additional clearance (lift) and a 30' tt, purchased because of it's exceptionally high undercarriage clearance, but we couldn't cross. Once at the KOA campground, we were trapped. Continuuing high tides kept the road north closed for the next 10 days. Every day the highway patrol had to go rescue fools who tried to get by. They used a full sized hummer with extended snorkle and balast weights to pull tourists out of the mess. On the 4th or 5th day of rescues, the hummer floated away and had to be recovered by the U.S. Coast Guard. After that, the highway patrols used boats to recover the idiot tourists who tried. On the 11th day the highway dept got the road open for about 4 hrs and we left the outer banks. We were able with our lifted truck to make it to the Lighthouse and all other southern islands during periods of low tide, but there was still up to 6 or 8 inches of water over the road that had to be driven through. On the day we made it into the campground, a t@b 400 (tv was a pick-up truck) and an Avia (pick-up truck tv also) made it there too. All of us were trapped together, and regardless of planned stay length, we all had to stay until the highway was finally opened. The campground was able to keep everyone in their spaces as no one was able to make it in to displace us who were there.

Long story short, after checking everything else, make sure about the tide schedules favoring your travel dates. And have fun. We did. Horseback rides to the ocean, kite flying, lots of not too intense sun and time in the hot tub. Leeward island side beach trips. Enjoy. It's all part of the adventure. Happy t@bbing.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    nmdreamnmdream Member Posts: 27
    Not sure what the elevation is 10' above sea level maybe, Northern mentality is sewer and storm drains. None at sea level. Long slow rain makes a big impact on the roads , small dips in the road fill up quick. I had a Ski Doo pass me in the southbound lane one time, No rider... :o 
    Don't stress it, but make sure to watch the weather. Visit Ocracoke Island, ferry used to be free for the short run. Beautiful island and pleasant day trips. Good food. You should enjoy it ! We love it and especially enjoy the late fall trips. National parks have restrooms, used to have "Pull Chain" showers. First dump can be a shocker LOL.. I think they heard my daughter scream all the way to Ohio.
    2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate 181 HP w/Hayden 678 Rapid Cool
    2019 T@B 320 S