Options

Installing dual lithium batteries

I'm looking for suggestions on how to secure a dual Li battery setup in the tub of my T@B 320. While the Li batteries don't need a battery box, I'd like to do something to keep them from sliding around.
My initial thought was to get some aluminum angle cut it into four pieces and and bolt a segment around the perimeter of the batteries to the floor of the tub. That would secure things front to rear and side to side. To keep things in the vertical plane, my thought was to cut a horizontal slot in the center of each of the lengthwise angles that I could threat a nylon strap through. I'm going to try and draw this up and post it here since my description may be tough to follow.
I'd be interested in learning how other T@B owners have installed their dual batteries.
2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country

Comments

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    Here's a crude, not to scale drawing of what I envisioned.
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Looks adequate to keep them in place however, I think the connectors on the top need some protection in case something is placed or falls onto a battery. How will you charge these batteries ? Will the onboard charger deliver the correct voltage etc?
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    tomtektomtek Member Posts: 47
    I did something similar when I moved my 280ah lithium inside. I have a 2021 clamshell and I struggled getting the angle to hold to floor well with screws.   Currently I don't have it strapped down but its in there pretty good under the passenger bench nothing else in there.   I plan on making something better to hold it this winter. 
    2009 Dutchman TQ - Sold
    2021 CS-S - Enjoying the new layout
    2011 Outback 3.6r
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited October 2021
    RCB said:
    Looks adequate to keep them in place however, I think the connectors on the top need some protection in case something is placed or falls onto a battery. How will you charge these batteries ? Will the onboard charger deliver the correct voltage etc?
    I plan to make a cover, probably out of marine plywood, to go over both batteries. My SmartShunt will be mounted on the cover and if I can make some kind of heat sink (perhaps a piece of Al plate, raised slightly off the wood), will also mount my DC:DC charger on it.
    The stock WFCO on the 2021 T@B can charge LiFePO4 batteries, but not to 100%. Per Battleborn, that is not an issue as long has you are able to occasionally (maybe once a month or so) get the batteries to full - that's needed for the BMS to properly adjust charging among the cells. The DC:DC charger, my solar suitcase and my plug-in charger can all get the batteries to 100% though and will take care of things.
    tomtek said:
    I did something similar when I moved my 280ah lithium inside. I have a 2021 clamshell and I struggled getting the angle to hold to floor well with screws.   Currently I don't have it strapped down but its in there pretty good under the passenger bench nothing else in there.   I plan on making something better to hold it this winter. 
    I can see how screws into the floor under the bench may present an issue. I won't be using screws in the tub however, and instead will bolt the angles in place. I will space the bolts so that each passes through one of the large perforations of the platform. The will in turn require something to span the perforation. I will probably use a length of Al flat stock drilled appropriately unless I can find a large enough washer for the task.