Options

Storage boxes for front platform

Anyone know of a manufacturer who makes storage boxes that will fit on the front platforms of a T@B 320?  This is the space on either side of the LP box.  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NATTAB161NATTAB161 Member Posts: 1
    I haven’t personally gotten one ☝️ but I see a lot of people mentioning Seabiscuit Metal Designs.  https://seabiscuitmetaldesigns.com/
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    All Pro Adventures and Seabiscuit Metal Designs both have these, Here’s a link to one of Seabiscuit’s, there are several sizes: https://seabiscuitmetaldesigns.com/product/tab-boxes-standard-size/

A search of the forum will pull up less expensive non-custom options as well. Many of us have used things like tool boxes and Action Packer tubs for years.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    These https://allproadventures.com/products/storage-tubs look like OEM and have locks.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    Farmplast 6 gal rectangular milk crates fit very well, and they are stackable. https://www.milkcrates1.com/

2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I bought mine from here:
    https://www.customaluminumboxes.com/
    So did several others a few years back.
    You should also search your local area for people who make and weld these types of boxes.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    newcampnewcamp Member Posts: 63
    I don't know so much about this but I have seen someone replace the existing one with a pick-up truck type of storage box. Then you get one big box all the way across, with one lid and one lock. You could pick one with the diamond pattern, then you just the tank and battery in it, but you have to drill some vent holes I believe for the batteries (maybe below). You could also make compartments inside the big box by putting up some walls inside. 
    2020 T@B 320s Boondock Lite. 2015 Kia Sorrento EX V6 AWD
  • Options
    SydmargoSydmargo Member Posts: 25
    Make sure the box you install does not extend out past the existing platform.
    You can have a problem with the box affecting your turning radius. It can hit your tow vehicle on sharp turns.
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    I use Craftsman Versastack
    tool boxes from Lowes. A big one on each side of tub bolted to platform then smaller one on top of each one. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Barrett252Barrett252 Member Posts: 3
    Do the carriage bolts come up through from underneath the platform with the washer below the platform or does the carriage bolt go down and then you put the big washer on and nut underneath?  I think it would be weird to see the 8 bolts sticking up through the inside storage box
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited March 2022
    I went with the Bradley (now Seabiscuit) boxes @Canyoneer.

They are well-made, reasonably priced and dealing with the company was easy. The boxes come with 8 oversize aluminum washers for mounting, but you will still need to buy bolts and nuts. McMaster-Carr is a good source that not only has a much larger selection than your nearby big-box hardware store, but offers higher quality hardware that is often less expensive.
    The boxes, whether from Seabiscuit or AllPro, are aluminum, and normally the recommendation is that you use like metal hardware to mount them. I went with stainless hex bolts and nylock nuts however. Perhaps less than ideal from with respect to galvanic reaction issues, but stainless should not be too reactive and is more corrosion-resistant than aluminum fasteners.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Do the carriage bolts come up through from underneath the platform with the washer below the platform or does the carriage bolt go down and then you put the big washer on and nut underneath?  I think it would be weird to see the 8 bolts sticking up through the inside storage box
    I used the large aluminum washers at the bolt head and at the distal end with the nut. In my case, that fasteners are hex nuts with the head in the box and bolt through the platform. No reason you couldn't do it the other way 'round, but you would then have the nut and bolt excess in the box taking up space and perhaps damaging whatever you put in the box.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    The recommendation to mount any boxes with the nut inside and the head outside is simply to make it more difficult on thieves. If you have a round head bolt with no end tooling (screwdriver grooves) on the outside (bottom) of the box and platform, it is much more difficult for a thief to unscrew the bolt and take your box and it's contents. If you have the smooth screw head in the box and the nut underneath, you give a thief another easy option to steal. While nothing is thief proof, my vote is to always make them work much harder for whatever they are trying take that is yours!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Very nice looking boxes @WayneW. I'm with your spouse on the look of the natural wood finish but share your concern on how well they will weather. As you note, you can always paint them later.
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221

rubbermaid action packer attached with ubolts and straight bottom bolts with large washers. pretty much water proof. I only keep out side use items in them. Anything expensive is either locked in the tub or in the truck. Gas is off when tub is locked which is seldom

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    I use the same rubbermaid 8 gallon action packers on our trailer.  Both have items we use around camp, mostly cooking stuff and camp fire stuff like a dutch oven, other cooking utensils, charcoal, lighter fluid, matches, lighters, news paper etc.  These are things we use at the camp fire usually away from the trailer so I just keep it simple and have them held in place with a ratchet strap.  This allows me to quickly remove them and take the boxes over to where I need them then quickly reattach them when we pack up camp. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    For anyone using ActionPackers, they actually aren’t waterproof, though they’re reasonably water resistant…until you’re driving in heavy rain. Given that many of us store things like electrical adapters in there, finding even a small puddle in the bottom when you reach camp is not fun. On the recommendation of others, I lined the inside groove of the lids with self adhesive foam weatherstripping to seal things up, and have had no issues since. They also are prone to some UV deterioration over time. Mine are definitely faded and showing their age at the 3 year point, but are being retired due to their size rather than condition. My bigger Seabiscuit boxes are due in shortly.

If you have the platform like @Tabnero and don’t have the tire mounted up front, a third ActionPacker should fit in that spot. While my two side ones were bolted through the bottom, the front one has been secured with just a ratchet strap, which works great.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Very nice job, and the new boxes look great!
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HighSierraBillHighSierraBill Member Posts: 10
    Hi - We purchased our front fork storage from Enhanced Performance Systems, San Diego, CA - https://www.enhancedperformancesystems.com/ . They also have AC vent covers in diamond plate as well. SeaBiscuit Metals provided the platform storage units we installed.

High Sierra Boy / 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum / 2015 Chevrolet Traverse LT
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock Max Custom
    Reno, NV
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    I have the mounts sealed and I put a strap across the top. I have had them in a car wash, and the driving rain and have not had water get inside. I think the strap across the top really helps keep the to down even though the handles are locked. If you over tuff it, the top can bow a little. so the method works for me
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    edited March 11
    Time to seal up the front box, while I had it off for other work.  Every time I open it there's a big pool of water inside.    The lid has a 1/2" gap to rear; the gas and electrical cutouts are huge and admit water.  The gas regulator is unprotected from hits from gear in the box.

1. Removed relict front-mounted battery switch.  My batteries and switch are above passenger wheelwell.

2.  Sealed off right rear box cutout at former battery switch with sheetmetal, screws and caulk.

3.  Aluminum angle on piano hinge closes the rear gap.  Drilled out hinge rivets, replaced with rear-mounted stainless piano hinge and 1/16x1.5x1.5 aluminum angle.  Aluminum pop-riveted using back-washers, flattened rivet backsides and ground partly flush to avoid interference when closing.  Mounted the hinge and angle first; it was necessary to slide the lid forwards a bit for clearance as the pivot point is now shifted. Then riveted the top and caulked the top rivet openings, ground off backsides to within 1/8" thickness.

4.  The gas regulator sticks into the box about 1".  Fabricated a removable seal-welded aluminum access panel over the gas regulator opening.  3/4" hole for gas line to tank.  Used 1/16x1.25 angles and 1/8 alum plate.  One could also pop rivet or screw the assembly together.  EPDM foam tape backside and sheetmetal screws seal it to rear of box.  More practice welding dissimilar thickness metals. Aluminum seems more forgiving than Corten steel (1/4" tubesteel doorframe to Conex box walls) in this regard.

Nucamp did not use any thread sealant on the gas fittings!  Neither in front nor in the (now refabricated) rear quick outlet.   Rethreaded the gas outlet hose while the access panel is loose, then screwed the removable panel into place.  

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 377
    Nice work.  Tks for the post on this...I always have water in my bin and it drives me crazy..mine mostly gets in from pooled water on the top and when I open it, it drains through the gap in the back right into the bin.    I wonder why there are not more posts on this issue.  I've added this to my spring to do list.  
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 152
    I had the same water in the tub issue on my 400.  I posted this in another thread, but basically I used a rubber sheet as a deflector around the propane hose opening but still allows for air flow into the tub.

I copied this from my other post:

"The rear of the front storage tub has an opening for the propane tank hose which allows water to get into to get into tub when raining or traveling over wet roads.  For the most part the items I have in there are OK with that, but I don't want to have any mold issues if I can avoid it.  I have the trailer in storage but I will try to grab some pics when I can.

Basically I purchased a 12"x12"x1/16" piece of rubber sheet and cut it ~4" (?, will need to check) wider than the opening and a little shorter that the height of the opening.  I then drilled a couple of holes on the tub between the top of the opening and the hinge. From the back side of the tub attached the rubber piece using stainless hardware. Being only 1/16" thick, the rubber naturally "drapes" over the propane hose.  Any rain coming down is then deflected around the opening.  If I was to use a "fixed" deflector I was concerned that as the frame flexes the deflector would contact the T@B or chafe the hose, the rubber eliminates that."

I never did get any pics but if anyone has a question about this lmk.  Had it in place now for over a year and tub remains dry (even after driving 2hrs in heavy rain just this past weekend).
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    TabTimeTabTime Member Posts: 10
    We love the Seabiscuit folks in TN. Have 2 of their boxes. 
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    I use Craftsman Versastack tool boxes from Lowes. A big one on each side of tub bolted to platform then smaller one on top of each one. 
    How are these boxes holding up?  I went to look at them yesterday and was worried by the steel clasps.  Are you having any rust issues?
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I have the boxes on mine and the clamps are VERY rusted! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    @Maxcamp8.  Sorry for the late response...and if you've already covered this elsewhere.  After sealing it up, do you still have adequate ventilation in your propane tank box?  Any storage box that holds a propane tank and regulator must be vented. 
    Also, I'm not sure what type of propane fittings you have...but typical propane disconnect fittings use o-rings and/or AN (flare-type) fittings which do not require sealant.  In fact, sealants are discouraged as they can actually hinder the mechanical seal.  Thread sealants are typically only used on tapered pipe threads (NPT).  Again, I apologize if I missed some additional information above.  
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    edited March 14
    Fair questions.
    Plenty of venting in the lid gaps and around the (open to air) gas regulator.  No gasket on lid.
    For sealing brass gas fittings (not the tank) see IBC Section 403.8.3 (Threaded Joint Sealing) of the 2021 International Fuel Gas Code.  Yellow Teflon tape on gas joints, white on plumbing.  Dope plus tape is common on todays' poorly machined thread tolerances.

No issues or leaks in David Hess' Seabiscuit side boxes.  Nicely made!  He bent and welded cleanly around the curves on the diamond tread plate.  I decided I was not up to replicating his expert work and used an angle below the lid rather than weld a return to the diamond plate.  Nucamp should commission him for the main box.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    Thanks for clarifying...want everyone to be safe!
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    Maxcamp8 said:
    Plenty of venting in the lid gaps and around the (open to air) gas regulator.  No gasket on lid.
    Propane is heavier than air. You need venting at the top and bottom.

5.2.6.1 Ventilation of Compartments Containing LP-Gas
    Containers.
     Compartments shall be ventilated at or near the
    top and at the extreme bottom to facilitate diffusion of vapors.
    The compartment shall be ventilated with at least two vents
    having an aggregate free area equal to at least 1 sq/in for each 7 lb
    (1 cm 2  per 500 grams) of the total LP-Gas fuel capacity ....

So, for a 20lb tank, two 1-1/2" diameter holes (one top / one bottom) should work.

Maxcamp8 said:
    For sealing brass gas fittings (not the tank) see IBC Section 403.8.3 (Threaded Joint Sealing) of the 2021 International Fuel Gas Code.  Yellow Teflon tape on gas joints, white on plumbing.  Dope plus tape is common on todays' poorly machined thread tolerances.
    This is only true for tapered gas fittings. As @Basil48@Basil48192 said, fittings using o-rings or flare fittings do not depend on machined threads to seal. The threads only secure the connection. Any dope or tape can interfere with the intended seal.

https://www.texasinspector.com/files/Flexible-Connector.pdf

Not trying to be confrontational. Just want anyone reading this thread to be clear on all aspects of the topic.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler