Options

AIR8 and MicroAir EasyStart. Read this first so that you can avoid our drama!

We have a new to us 2020 T@B 400 BL and love it!  Now that we are both retired, we are planning trips back east to visit family and friends for extended periods.  Due to the soupy weather back east, we decided to make the mod of installing an EasyStart so that we can keep the high humidity at bay no matter what our hookup/boondocking situation may be.  Under the bed is where the AIR8 is located.  Even though the breaker says CoolCat....It's an AIR8!  You'll find the schematic on the underside of the GREEN cover.  This schematic IS INCOMPLETE!!!!!  If you decide to install, you'll need the EasyStart 364-T36. This is for smaller A/C units like the AIR8 which is only 6000 BTUs.  I purchased the wrong EasyStart from HUTCH MOUNTAIN...HIGHLY RECOMMEND these guys and gals!   The unit didn't fit as I thought that it was a Coolcat unit as labeled on my breaker box.  (First mistake....I thought that the Elwell company made the AIR8/Coolcat). The folks at Hutch Mountain swapped out the 364 for the 364-T36.  Then when installed, it just didn't work.  The Hutch customer service was stumped.  They even contacted Elwell and they were told by the Elwell rep that didn't HAVE an updated schematic for them to see!  So the Hutch crew updated the schematic for Elwell to the one posted below.  You'll see the updates are highlighted BROWN/WHITE/ORANGE.  With some one-on-one phone coaching and exchanging of text pictures, the unit was rewired correctly and the EasyStart works perfectly.  
Hutch Mountain now has this new schematic in their database and can help you or your RV tech install the unit.  You'll get their "installation kit" with the EasyStart but, you'll need wire crimpers...screwdriver etc.  They'll help out and stay on the phone with you, so you can install it correctly the first time.  (I have NO affiliation with this company, I just want to sing their praises!  Ask for Terry and Clayton as they were the two gentlemen who helped us out.)

Happy travels everyone!
SMar-Chap
2020 T@B400 BL
2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4TRD

2020 T@B 400BL
2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Comments

• Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    You think like us in that we have a 400 and we travel back east to visit family and uCamp several times from CA/NV. Slightly different setup, since we have a CoolCat and did install a 364. We did it because of the large power draw of the CoolCat on every cycle. I don't think that you'd need one on the Air-8, though. 
    We got one particular question answered from Microair.net directly, the makers of the 364. They are a good source of info, too. Glad you had expert help from Hutch Mountain. That's so important when dealing with a one-time installation.

My recommendation to people starting out with an RV is to camp and see what you actually need. We didn't install the 364 until the end of our season 2 of ownership. We lived at 6,000 feet altitude and had a very hot spell near 100 degrees F. Our Honda 2200 was struggling with the combination, but still able to handlle it. You didn't mention what size generator you have. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    slmarchapslmarchap Member Posts: 11
    Hi NorthIsUP,
    We live in CO at about 5000'.  This is our third year with our rig.  We got lucky and bought the camper having only been used 6 times!  We're not heavy a/c users but know that our travels will put us in soggy environments!

MicroAir got back to me the next day with recommendations to contact them directly, but the Hutch folks beat them to it and we already had it connected and running. 

Not knowing what our future camping situations will be moochdocking or boondocking, we wanted our bases covered to keep the moisture out of the camper.  I tripped the breaker at home using the garage plug with pigtail as we experimented with the draw of the AIR8.  Now, we won't have to worry.  Our generator is the 2500 Champion Dual Fuel.  We plan on only using propane. In a dire emergency, we'll use gas.

Happy travels!
    2020 T@B 400BL
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
  • Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 209
    edited March 2022
    Per originator Hutch Mountain RV, the wiring diagram provided above needs CLARIFICATION.  Consulted with them (thanks slmarchap) and here is the successfully running result:

final condition.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    jamesdn1948jamesdn1948 Member Posts: 8
    @Maxcamp8. I was looking at your post about installing an Easystart in the Air8. My question concerns step 5 in the instructions. The instruction says to remove the wire from "D" and splice it to the ES black (2 wires in the splice). The finished photo shows 3 wires in that splice with the third wire going back from "D" to the splice. No mention of that third wire in the instructions. I'll assume that the photo is correct and that the instruction for that wire is missing. Correct?
    Jim
    2023 Tab 320S