Options

Dome Light Upgrade 2021 320s

Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
edited April 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
The 5" dome lights in bathroom and cabin are astonishingly bright.... great for reading but too much for a nighttime jaunt to the head.

After purchasing and rejecting an oversized LED dimmer I discovered this easy swap ($25) out from the original manufacturer.
Hold on button to dim up or down.  Remembers dimmer setting for next use.
Light, escutcheon, and screw holes match up identically.  Couldn't be simpler to swap out.

Brand: Dream Lighting
existing model: 0016936C
new model with integral dimmer: 00169387W

Dream Lighting 12Volt LED Panel Light with Switch - 5" White Shell Ceiling Downlight - Warm White Panel Downlight for Kitchen, Roof, Cabinet and Cabin

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lighting-12Volt-Panel-Switch/dp/B00ODVEWPG/?th=1

select: Color:  5inch, Dimmer Switch, Warm White Light

There is little slack in the Nucamp wires.  Pull the fuse, cut the crimp splices near the middle and pare back to conserve wire length.

Crimp on INSULATED spade terminals to trailer side and to new light.  Coil up slack inside the cutout in the 1/8" hardboard liner.

Very gently hand tighten the #2 square drive screws into the hardboard.

Nucamp did not vapor seal the bath light, permitting shower vapor to penetrate the headliner.

I added a thin bead of silicone caulk around the light in the bathroom and set the escutcheon plate.  Or you could use Tyvek tape.

-----------------

mfgr. info:

Manufacturer    ‎Jerrylight Pty Ltd

Brand    ‎Dream lighting

Item Weight       ‎3.88 ounces

Product Dimensions        ‎5 x 0.8 x 5 inches

Country of Origin              ‎China

Is Discontinued By Manufacturer              ‎No

Manufacturer Part Number         ‎0016937W-milky lens

Bulb Type            ‎LED

Special Features               ‎Low power consumption to save energy, Shock and vibration resistant, Dimmable, 12volt DC for vehicles

Mirror Lighting Type       ‎LED

Amperage           ‎0.3 Amps

Voltage ‎12 Volts

Wattage               ‎4.7 watts

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Both mine are on a switch so they don't draw power from the battery when off. The originals in our 2021 T@B are always on. I wonder if these hold their memory when to power is cut?
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    Checked, yes  they retain dimmer setting when pull fuse and reset it. 
    They also do not have the tiny led blue idiot lights that demarc the switch, so likely do not have the parasitic draw you measured on original light model.  

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Maxcamp8 said:
    Checked, yes  they retain dimmer setting when pull fuse and reset it. 
    They also do not have the tiny led blue idiot lights that demarc the switch, so likely do not have the parasitic draw you measured on original light model.  

That's great. Much better. Just ordered a pair. I'll check to see if they draw any current when they're off before I install them.
    Should arrive tomorrow.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    So just got mine and I can also confirm they hold their dim setting even if power is cut. Better yet is they do not draw any current when off so there will be no constant drain on the battery like the overheads installed at the factory.

Good news for me as it will free up a switch on the panel I installed to cut power to everything that was a parasitic draw on the battery. I will use that switch I was using for the overheads to turn the blue tooth transmitter for a wireless speaker on and off I'm installing on the Jensen.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Thanks SLJ for this find and info.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 300
    So grateful for this thread. I ordered the dimmable lights and installed them yesterday in our 320S. What a huge improvement. Being able to have the light in the bathroom not be so bright, especially for those nighttime bathroom breaks is going to be a huge improvement.
    edited June 2022
    Update, found the readings I jotted down initially.

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    I purchased these as well - but I can’t figure out how to take out the old ones.  I’ve tried twisting to the left and gently trying to pry the outer ring down, but neither have budged it.  Before I actually break anything I thought I’d ask here!  I have a 2018, this is what my bathroom light looks like.

2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    The outer metal bezel snaps on, play with your new fixture first so you understand it.
    Use a plastic autobody prybar or wrap a butter knife with tape and gently pry around the outer edge in a few spots, starting in a less visible location on the headliner.   You need a square drive bit for the base screws in the fixture beneath.  

• Options
    edited June 2022
    elbereth said:
    I purchased these as well - but I can’t figure out how to take out the old ones.

They just pop off. If you got the same replacements I did the rings are interchangeable so if you crack one it's no biggie. Stick your fingernails under one side edge and put your thumb on the lens and pull.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks, @Maxcamp8, works great!
    The button works very reliably, unlike our old one, and the dimmer function is a welcome relief too.
    I cut off the old unit, leaving a couple inches of wire to use, then added some heat shrink tubing over the old connections..

Then I added 2 pairs of spade connectors to connect the new wires (shown above before heat shrink tubing was slid up over them).  As previously mentioned, the screw holes all lined up with the originals.
    Thanks again.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods