Options

Tow Hitch Installation: Volvo

ELKELK Member Posts: 213
So many questions...  I will need to have a tow package put on the XC70 Volvo wagon (2015)...I assume that means tow bar to the body and wiring. I wonder if anyone has a recommendation for where to go for that. I'm sure my dealer will be expensive...but I don;t want to cut any corners on such an important element. e
2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 

Comments

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    You could try U-HAUL, your dealer, Camping World, or you know the old saying "if you want something done right do it yourself."
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    I would recommend looking into the Volvo accessory as it includes a tow module that handles such things as disabling the park assist sensors adjusts throttle, and also stability management for the trailer when using the 7 pin plug. I'll try to post more later - we're in Watson Lake for a quick stop at the Visitor Center. In fact just ran into Michigan Mike and his posee. :)
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    I did end up making an appointment with my dealer. Expensive, but they're giving me a discount and I'm working to establish a relatioship with them.
  • Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    Yes - it'll be more expensive but far superior in quality of mount and the electrical interface will work as it should adjusting your Volvo's safety systems to accommodate when towing. Also you may want to make sure they install the line to the front for electric brakes if your T@B will have them so that you can have a brake controller installed. The dealer will likely refuse to install the brake controller as it is not a Volvo accessory but the hitch install instructions Volvo provides (and VIDAS - the system they use) should provide instructions on how to lay the wiring for it in your XC70. It does for the XC90. PM if you'd like - we're still traveling on the tail end of a month long ALCAN adventure so I'm catching up at Visitor Centers. 
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    Yes... the manager said "go to Curtis, get a WDH and have them hook up your brakes."  Are you suggesting I insist (or make a specific request)  that they put the brake controller in?  I don't have  a T@B yet..... but I would hope they have electronic brakes!   Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!    Liz
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Once upon a time I installed my own hitch on an XC90.  Not fun!  If I were you, I'd consider a wireless brake controller.  Look at the Tekonsha Prodigy Wireless Controller.  Installation is simple (just screw onto the tongue and follow the steps for pairing.  http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    The RV dealer I saw today (to crawl around the TAB) said they would put it on for me.