Options

Question? ARB Awning on a T@B camper?

georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
edited August 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hello. I had a Rhino-rack awning on my Silver Shadow teardrop that I sold a few years ago. The awning and its setup were simply amazing. Miss it. Now that I have a 2019 T@B 320 CS, I would like to find a way to attach and deploy an ARB or Rhino-rack system with no interference with the T@B door. I know there are other awning solutions available, but I really like the Rhino / ARB system. Has anyone succeeded in attaching either of these awning brands to their T@B?  Or is the camper simply too tall for this kind of awning? If successful, any pictures?
Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 

Comments

• Options
    georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
    edited August 2022
    By the way, a thought I had was to attach an aluminum frame to the top of the T@B. Made from two light weight roof rails running perpendicular across the roof about 4 feet apart. The two rails would connect to each other with a second bar (bolted) sitting flush against the camper side walls and also slightly below the roof. No drilling into the roof or side walls.The frame would be locked into the keder track on both sides of the camper (so four attachment points, one at each corner ), essentially creating a roof rack rail system that would sit a wee bit above the door but below the highest point of the roof.  The rails and the side bars would be made from square channel aluminum allowing for ARB's bracket attachment system. Much as though it was a factory installed roof rack. The ARB awnings weigh approximately 35 lbs maximum. Competitor brands weigh a bit less. Too much stress on the keder rails as they would be taking all of the weight? Anyone done this? 
    Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
    Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    An owner on the FB page did this with a DM trailer several years ago.  The way they did it was by reinforcing inner wall of the trailer with a large piece of wood for support.  There is really nothing on the side of the trailer to bolt anything to, like a wall stud, etc.  I'll find the pictures later this afternoon.....
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi