Options

AC in 320 (eg 5000 BTU window unit type) not cooling

So I believe I have a problem with my AC not cooling or perhaps overheating. I was told it is short cycling. Pulling the hot air that is pushed out the vent back in. Can you tell I’m totally learning on the fly. So I had a total melt down of my AC and my dogs and I almost roasted and sweated in 95 plus with 90 percent humidity—not pretty. But I someone showed me a post another T@B owner had mad with the same problem and their solution on the fly (duck tape, magazines and zip ties) I fashioned something similar and it got my system working again. Any ideas on how to fix this in the long run?
Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    If your model-year has the AC Unit Fan (switch on wall near AC) make sure it is turned on when the AC is running . . . that fan will help bring fresh air into the AC Cabinet.

Lots of folks use magnetic mount plastic floor vent deflectors to separate the Hot Exhaust Air from the AC's Cooler air intake area.
    I'm a bit concerned your taped on panel to direct the hot exhaust air up might cause the AC's internal fan to work harder and move less air due to how the panel restricts the exhaust air flow.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    Thanks Muttonchops. Tape was an emergency operation. It did help, but looking for long term fix. I do not have a fan switch. I did find the discussion on installing a fan and use of deflectors which this non-handy person is going to attempt. I travel with my dogs and really need AC to keep them cool.
    Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV