Options

Canoe carrier mod

TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
edited August 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
We have a Ram 1500 with a Tonneau cover.  Our camper is 2016 Tab max s and we’ve been rocking with it for 6 years.  We are both 70 or so, can’t really remember exactly.  So, this week I decided to go back to a canoe, our 3rd in the last 50 years.  It’s a 16 ft. Old Town. Now, how to carry it?  I’ve come up with a loader option that helps you get it on the truck.  You put the bow in the cross piece on the hitch pole, and it swivels around and the front goes on the truck roof.  Normally, Mount just goes on the hitch, but we want to take the camper too.  This system has the option of sliding to one side of the hitch ball.  I included a pic of the Mount unit and one on a truck, not mine, with the way I’d like to go.  I captured a view from a video, so it’s a screenshot.  Don’t try playing it.  Grin… Anyone
see a flaw in this?

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2022
    My first two pics are reversed in order. 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 150
    @TerryV6
    I have a 17' Grumman from the early '60s that I take and I have pretty much the same truck and I have a tonneau cover as well. I use the exact same method with the reese device to get the canoe up but I use a rear rack modified with a yakima rack that actually supports the canoe. The reese product is OK to get it up there but it is a bit wobbly.

The rear rack is a diy since I have the ramboxes, I am actually looking to do a redesign.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,509
    I have a Yakima BoatLoader but I actually use it to get a long skinny Yakima RocketBox on to the roof of a Santa Fe by myself. It works pretty well. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab