Options

Door Panel Yellowing

I just noticed on my 2019 400 that the inside door panel has turned a fairly bright yellow.  It started out white.  The plastic inside of the trash bin is still white.  The inside of the door is only exposed to the sun for the short times that the door is opened to enter or leave the trailer.  My concern is that past experience tells me that when plastic yellows like this complete deterioration is not far off.  Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon in their trailer?

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I know you can use sunlight and peroxide to remove yellow from plastic. I just don’t know if it prevents the plastic from deteriorating. I’ve noticed the plastic trim pieces on the ceiling of our 2021 400 have yellowed which is odd since the ceiling sees zero direct sunlight. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Tape off and paint with plastic rated paint.  I had this issue with discoloring pieces on a Casita and other trailers.  I found no actual deteriation of the yellowed components. Learned this years ago on the Casita Forum.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    For now I will just watch to see what happens next.  It has been really hot here (Texas) over the summer so maybe that is what did it.  Although there has been no discoloration under the trash basket or the other cubbies in the door.  I have been keeping the blinds drawn to minimize the effect of sun on things in the trailer.  I really wonder what them cause is/was.